40: i like you.

"i can't believe they actually won," donghyuck uttered as he and mark made their way down from the bleachers.

"hey, lovebirds," yeri called, "there's a party after this!"

mark glanced behind to see his friends running after them.

"we probably won't go," he mumbled.

the two looked over to the pitch, where the team was chanting the name of the player who had ended up scoring the winning goal.

"na jaemin! na jaemin! na jaemin!"

donghyuck looked pained.

"we can go," mark said quietly.

"can we just... wait in the car for a bit?" donghyuck asked him.

"sure," he replied.

"what about the party?" chaeyoung asked.

"we'll, uh, think about it," said donghyuck, latching onto mark's hand as he walked towards the car park.

"chae!" yukhei screeched, pushing through the crowd to find her. he grabbed her in a sweaty hug, making her laugh.

"well done, yukhei," she said, patting his shoulder.

he grinned at her, before kissing her in front of everyone.

jeno nearly dropped jaemin.

"my ship is alive!" yeri sang.

"yukhei!" chaeyoung protested, eyes wide.

"chae, will you be my girlfriend?" yukhei asked, suddenly nervous.

"yes, you idiot," she huffed, smacking his bicep. "but we didn't have to have our first kiss in front of everyone."

"i'd like you to call me lucas," he said, stroking her hair. "only people close to me get to call me that."

"okay, lucas," she said softly. "let's get to that party of yours, then."

"come on, lads!" yukhei called, beckoning to the team.

"put me down, jeno!" jaemin said, wriggling in jeno's arms as he was held in bridal style.

"okay, mr winning goal!" he replied, pretending to drop him.

jaemin's stomach dropped. "fuck, don't drop me!"

renjun giggled as he trailed after jeno, who glanced behind and shot him a wink. renjun glared at him as he blushed.

"alright, fine," jeno gave in, putting jaemin down.

"thank you," he said sarcastically, only to be tackled by haknyeon and sunwoo for a hug.

"fucking great goal, man," felix added. "hey, chris, you're coming to the party, right?"

"like i'd miss it," his fellow teammate chuckled.

"let's go to my house!" yukhei hollered, gathering the rest of the team and a load of other students. "let's par-tay!"

in mark's car, he and donghyuck were sitting quietly. people began to leave in their cars and soon the parking lot was almost empty.

"mark," donghyuck said softly.

"yeah?" he replied, turning to look at the younger.

donghyuck brushed a lock of his peachy hair of his eyes. "do you actually like me, hyung?"

"what do you mean?" mark asked, frowning a little.

"i mean... as a person," he said in a small voice. "as a friend or whatever. you should still hate me for how i treated you."

mark hesitated. "what's bringing this on, hyuck?"

donghyuck was startled by the nickname, meeting mark's gaze.

"just answer me... please?"

mark couldn't say no to those eyes.

"i do. i do like you," he admitted. "honestly, you're not as bad as you seemed, now that i know you a little better. but, donghyuck-"

"thank you," he interrupted, reaching for mark's hand. "you're a real friend.'

"so are you," mark said gruffly.

"but the thing is..." donghyuck said, starting to lean in. "i like you a bit more than a friend..."

slowly, his lips met mark's and mark felt like he was flying. donghyuck wrapped his other arm around mark's waist, pulling him closer as mark put his arm around donghyuck's neck. he kissed mark gently a few times, before pulling away and pressing a kiss to mark's forehead. mark his his face in donghyuck's neck and the two stayed like that for a while.

"hyuck..." mark mumbled.

the two pulled away from the hug to look at each other, but donghyuck kept a hold of mark's hand.

"are you okay? why were you asking that just now?" he questioned.

donghyuck winced. "i just feel like people hate me... that they just liked me for my popularity before," he confessed, rubbing his eyes, "i know that renjun and jeno aren't like that... but i feel like i don't know jaemin anymore. and i just can't be friends with him right now, because- because of what he's said-" donghyuck stopped when his voice cracked. "i can't take it anymore, mark."

"what did he say?" mark said tentatively. "was it about your weight?"

donghyuck nodded and sighed shakily. "i feel like such a pussy when i'm like this. it's stupid."

"it's not stupid," mark told him, squeezing his hand. "it's okay to be upset."

"it just... went on for too long," donghyuck got out. "i almost breathed a sigh of relief when jaemin injured his back and stayed home from school. but i felt terrible." he sniffed, wiping his nose with the back of his hand. "and he has no idea."

"you never talked to him about it?"

he shook his head. "he wouldn't understand. he's called me fat so many times, told me to watch what i eat, i thought i'd get over it eventually. but i couldn't help my weight back then; hearing other people say things was bad enough, but hearing them from jaemin..."

"hey," mark said softly as donghyuck started crying. "do you think jaemin meant it in a mean way? i know he said it a lot, but-"

"he didn't," donghyuck sniffed, "he is a nice person, but he's stupid. he probably thought i didn't care, because it was just some joke. like the theatre thing." donghyuck's voice was thick with tears as he wiped his nose again. "why do i always cry in front of you?" he sniffled.

"maybe because you let me see your sensitive side. because you don't mind if i see you like this."

donghyuck giggled through his tears. "you're right. there's just something about you, mark..."

mark brushed donghyuck's fringe out of his eyes.

"there's something about you, too, donghyuck," he admitted.

donghyuck wiped his tears and leaned in to quickly peck mark's lips.

"i like you," he said simply.

"i like you, too," mark replied, and the two kissed again.

____________________________

it's chapter 40 so it's about fucking time

don't mind me i'm as impatient as you guys for another markhyuck kiss lolol

the next chapter will be about jaemin

(and another interesting character...)

((not nancy tho bc she can choke))

next chapter tomorrow

taellipses out x