7. Guy to the Rescue!

Guy arrived on the building roof out of breath. He had never moved so fast in his life. "Hi there," he called out, so as not to alarm John and the woman standing next to him. "Are you all right?"

John spun around. "Where the hell did you come from?"

"I was visiting a friend. The way down was blocked so I came up here," Guy improvised, shooting a quick flick of the eyes at the woman standing near John. She looked anxious and frightened.

"I don't suppose you can beam us all down to the ground?" asked John, half in earnest.

Guy smiled. "Sorry, I left my transporter at home, but I've got a decent length of rope here," he said, having teleported a coil from the nearest fire engine. "We might be able to rig something up."

He smiled encouragingly at the young woman whose face was tight with anxiety. "Hullo, I'm Guy. Is this your little girl?"

"Yes, this is Jessica and I'm Alison. She's only six," she blurted. "We have to save her!"

Guy strode across to peer over the side of the building. Flames were licking at the windows and he could feel the heat rising even from up there. It would only be seconds before they shattered. Far too dangerous to attempt to go down that way. He crossed to the other side of the rooftop and saw a blank wall leading down to the lane below. That might just work.

"How about we make a sling with the blanket and rope, and lower Jessica down this side?" Guy asked John. John pursed his lips for a moment, considering, then nodded. He set the little girl down and placed the blanket on the ground.

"All right with you, Alison?"

Alison wasn't happy, what if Jessica fell out? But she really couldn't see any other option. It had to be better than jumping.

"Honey," Guy squatted down to talk to the child. "We're going to wrap you in the blanket and lower you down to the ground, it will be just like being in a cubby house or a hammock. All you have to do is stay very still for about three minutes. Do you think you can do that?"

Jessica looked at her mother for reassurance, then nodded.

"What's your favourite colour?" asked Guy.

"Red." The word was so soft he could hardly hear.

"Well, isn't that lucky?" said Guy, pulling a red lollipop from his top pocket. "Look what I have here. Let's see if you can make it last until you reach the ground."

Before anyone had time for second thoughts, Jessica was securely wrapped in the blanket and Guy and John were hanging on to the rope, lowering her down as smoothly as they could.

As soon as the officers below realised what was happening, they swung one of the ladders around to intercept the bundle. Moments later, Jessica was safely in the arms of a burly fireman.

"Thank you! Thank you!" cried Alison, tearful with relief.

"Alison, you're next," said Guy, hauling up the rope. "The blanket isn't going to work for an adult, but we should be able to lower you with the rope. We'll make a sling for you to sit in. Ever done any rock climbing?" He asked in a cheerful voice.

Alison shook her head, bewildered.

"Pity," said Guy, his hands quickly tying the rope into loops and knots, making a harness for her to sit in. "But not to worry. If you get too close to the wall, just kick off gently with your feet."

Guy helped Alison into the harness, chatting constantly, distracting her from panicking.

"I really don't like heights," she protested nervously.

"Neither do I," said Guy cheerfully. "But Jessica needs you. Just keep your eyes looking upward and you'll be on the ground before you know it."

Alison could never quite remember how, but the next minute she was over the edge of the building and dropping foot by foot.

There hadn't been anything sturdy, or near enough, to tie the rope to, so Guy and John had it looped around their waists, feeding it out carefully, length by length, hand over hand.

"Lucky she's light," puffed John. "I'm about 85 kilos. Are you going to be able to lower me? I'm guessing you'll be able to take care of yourself."

He knew a normal man with Guy's slender build would struggle with the task. John was as certain as he could be that Guy had superpowers to help him, but he was hazy on the details.

And what if he was wrong? An icy thread of doubt slid into his mind for the first time. What if it had been all been a trick and John was just fooling himself, believing in the impossible?