Chapter 52 - Shen

Start from the beginning

Why is it that I believe her?

"Please," she tries again. When she steps forward, I can tell she's limping.

I nudge the child back towards her. "Let's get you some water, and then—"

Her voice changes. She narrows her eyes. "I could hurt you. You're still a human."

Now she's cornering me.

"I could make you do it. I could threaten your pack with your life," she says.

I nod, breathing cautiously. "You could." But she won't.

She knows she won't too. There's no real threat in her voice. She looks delirious. I try to help her to a bench, but she won't budge. "Her name is Fei," she says. "She's absolutely adorable."

Where is she going with this?

She runs her fingers over the little girl's forehead. "She loves colorful things like flowers, and toys, and fruit. She thinks pineapples are octopuses. Octopuses."

I shake my head. "I can't." This isn't going to work.

She looks completely dejected, but she keeps trying. "She's sick now, but when she smiles..." She tries to keep a straight face, but her lip quivers. "You'd really love her." She's trying to convince me, but her eyes say she's already given up. "She deserves to live."

"You both deserve to live," I say. My eyes are burning.

She shoves my phone into my hand. "Then make it happen. Make her Silvermoon."

"I can't do that."

"Yes, you can. You're the luna," she says. "Don't worry about me. Just her."

"There are so many other kids," I say.

"Then pick this one." She narrows her eyes. "Pick Fei because she's right here and she needs you."

"I can't—"

She staggers back. Her eyes dart behind me.

Before I can look, a firm hand wraps around my wrist. Slowly, gently. My body knows who it is before I do.

Axel.

I never knew ice blue could burn like that. I never knew green could look so hostile, but his smooth voice is anything but. He almost whispers, "Did she hurt you?"

I shake my head. "No."

"She did." He rubs his thumb over the place she grabbed me.

I put my hand over his. "She didn't."

"Go to your mom, I'll..." He looks at the girl.

She backs away, slowly. He pauses, staring at her. Every muscle in her body freezes.

"... Don't move," he says.

I freeze too. "Axel—"

"She came onto our territory," he lists. "She threatened you."

"She was scared," I say.

"And you weren't?"

I don't know what to say.

His eyes flash. His shoulders tense. "She could've—"

"She didn't," I say.

He steps towards her.

I get in his way. He can act like he doesn't care all he wants, but I know he does. "I think we should help her."

He looks at me like I've lost my mind.