"I had an excuse? Oh, don't kid yourself. The excuse had been all yours. You were the one who couldn't wait to leap into bed with the next girl who so much as smirked at you. You forget Jace Neil, that I not only know you, but I really know you."

Lucy reached out knowing fingers and ran them down his ticklish side. A bout of nervous laughter left him breathless but not winded.

"You don't know shit! You just think you know everything. Let me remind you Lucy Ara Little. You are not the brains in your family. Don't fire up those neurons and glial cells and let Cat do the thinking for you."

"You! Oh! Oh! You... oh."

Jace's knowing fingers slipped low down her torso beneath her panty line to flit across the hot lips in her nether region.

"Oh, by Cat you meant pussy."

"No, I did mean Cat but when it comes to your thoughts on me, I'd be happy to have you think with just your pussy."

"You wish!"

"Oh, I do! I most certainly do."

Their hands travelled unhindered roving where they would and exploring where they must, in utter abandon. There was no denying this rising passion for either of them. This had been long in coming, ever since she turned sixteen. Lucy's first and only kiss had been on her sixteenth birthday and with this man. Jace Neil, the best friend she had been lusting after, ever since.

Lucy could recall that day well. Her cheeks had been still tingling in awareness from the brush of his lips against them earlier that day. Her birthday present, he'd said. A kiss from him. A real kiss. Not stolen. Not shy. But bold and blatant. At that moment it had been everything. The merest brush of his soft lips against her skin and it had ignited an awareness she had been refusing to acknowledge before. Her best friend was hot.

But rather than invoke sentimental longings in her heart, his kiss had only wrought discontent. Lucy's temper, always ready to rise at the slightest provocation by Jace's mischief, had instantly risen. She saw red at Jace's attempt to muddy what they had between them. It was with this discontent that she'd reluctantly made ready for her sweet sixteenth birthday party. It was with this discontent that she had made her way down to the poolside later, where the guests already arrived had started to mingle. In her anger, she had been curt in accepting her birthday greetings, her angry eyes searching for the culprit who had tried to ruin the only sweet sixteenth she would ever have.

She'd found him easily enough. Her best friend, Jace Neil. Lounging in the pool with his friends. Friends Lucy didn't like and usually avoided when she could. That they were there, invited to her birthday party only had her fuming all the more. But her angry stare was snagged by Jace. His usual icy blues had smouldered with such heat as they held gaze. Lucy had found herself suffused with unwarranted heat. She was rooted where she stood, simply staring stupidly back at him. Without releasing his invisible hold on her, Jace broke away from their visual exchange to haul himself out of the water. He padded over to the low-lying diving board and stood poised at the end of it. His clear blue gaze searched and found her. Tawny gold sparks flew from the clash but Jace only lifted his brow challengingly before he moved to execute a smooth dive.

It was from that sleek dive into the water that spun her whole world turning it on its axis. Lucy begun to me view Jace differently. The same Jace, that she had grown up with and played countless tricks on, with her fateful sidekick, the twins, was the very Jace she suddenly couldn't tear her eyes away from.

He had been laughing at his own antics when his head emerged from the water flipping the wet strands up and away from his face so that his gaze sought and found her own mesmerised stare. The lust she had suddenly felt then had been acute. It had been immediately clear to Lucy that this was something more. Something entirely unexpected. Something to be wary of. Fear gripped her and sent her reeling as Lucy spun away to dash off into his room where her things were stored. That had been her mistake. She hadn't realised he'd come after her, that the first place he would look would be in his own room. But he did, and he found her. Lucy was sitting on the edge of his bed still shaking from reaction, trying desperately to calm her racing heart. She needed to think clearly. To make sense of what she was feeling for Jace. But the loud thudding of her heart blocked out everything else, even Jace's untimely arrival.