2

A few days later, it was night, and Max had been sleeping soundly when he heard a tapping on his window. He reluctantly got up, and groggily walked to see what was causing all the ruckus.

There, stood Ian, shirtless, with messy hair and a bloody nose.

Max gasped and immediately opened the window.

"W...What happened?" Max breathed the words.

"I told my dad." Ian paused, looking down. His voice was shaking, "I told my dad I'm a...a fucking faggot." 

This is where Ian broke down. He fell into Max who held him while he sobbed into the shoulder of his best friend.

Max lead them to his bed and they both fell onto it. Max pulled Ian into his chest and his hands found themselves around his waist and in his hair. Both of the boys silently cried until dawn. That's when Max dared to speak.

"It'll be okay."

"You're wrong." Ian's words were muffled by the fabric of Max's maroon shirt. "He said he's gonna kick me out of the house just like he did my mom."

Max remembered that whole ordeal. Ian's mom had turned out to be a lesbian and left his dad. Things at the Carter household have never been the same since. Ian and his dad never agree and constantly butt heads.

"Hey..." Max searched the ceiling for words of comfort. "You can stay here, with me."

"No I can't."

"Of course you can."

"No."

"What's stopping you?"

Ian's head suddenly rose from the other boys chest. Tears started to form again.

"This! Max you know I can't control myself around you."

Max paused for a moment and pondered what he meant. He remembered when they sat at the curb.

"It'll be okay. I'm not out yet either. My mom doesn't have to know."

"She'll find out!" Ian whispered as loud as a person can whisper.

That's when Max leaned in and kissed him, softly pulling away after a few seconds.

"No, she won't."

__

It was a dream.
It was all a dream.

Max's heart was lead inside his chest. He checked the clock. 3:45 am.

And seven missed calls from Ian.

He picked up his phone and called him back at the speed of light.

"Hey, dude."

Max's voice was husky from sleeping. "Hey.''

"It's Friday night, Anissa just dumped me, and I'm high as hell. Wanna get drunk in that forest behind your house?"

"I...uh...sure."

"Cool, I'll be over in 10."

The phone clicked. Max's heart raced. They had hung out a bunch of times before, but not un-sober. And Ian and Anissa broke up.

Max kicked his legs a few times in excitement. Maybe this would be the time to-

No. He was being irrational. Ian is straight. Max wasn't gay. Nothing was going to happen that's out of the ordinary. Why would it anyway? They're just pals.

There was a knock on Max's window and he immediately opened it for a high, smelly Ian.

"Dude..." Ian threw his leg over the window and fell to the floor. His knees were saved by grey cargo pants but a bottle of vodka was concealed in his arms.

"I guess we can just stay in here then. You are so lucky my mom is working late tonight." Max smirked to himself. He was the one who was truly lucky. They both sat on Max's bed.

Soon enough, Max was more than tipsy. They started talking, and the questions they asked each other became progressively more personal.

"So," Ian chuckled to himself, "Are you really a faggot?"

Max let out a hiccup, "So what if I am?"

Silence. Max broke it.

"You have really pretty eyes."

Ian was slowly falling out of his high. "Do I? That's gay."

"Well, you do." The other boy was slurring his speech.

Ian grabbed the bottle from him and took two big swigs. "Oh yeah? Well, you're dreamy as hell."

Max laughed, "You cunt, you're lying to me when I'm drunk. That's not nice."

"No I'm not."

Silence again. Max broke it again.

"Your lips look really soft."

Without thinking, he leaned into Ian. Ian didn't move. Soon, they fell over and Ian was on top, using his arms to hold himself up. Max had his hands in Ian's hair, on his back, and his shoulders. Soon clothing was missing as their breathing became more rapid. First Ian's shirt, then Max's pants. Ian's mouth moved to the other boys neck as he bit down slightly. Max threw his head backward and inhaled sharply.

All of a sudden, Ian stopped.

He had pinned Max to the bed by his shoulders then used that to move himself off of the boy. He then picked his shirt off from the ground and left, but not before kissing Max one last time. Max caught a glimpse of his eyes before he left, and they were filled with tears.

Max was left alone again.

__

Ian knocked on Max's door at 6am. Max was already and making breakfast for himself. He let Ian in.

"Dude, what the hell happened last night?" Max asked innocently. He pulled his hair out of the way, "I have like three hickies and I don't even know who gave them to me."

Ian gave him a nervous chuckle. "No idea either man. I took you to Chad's house and there were chicks all over you. I think a blonde one went to bed with you. I had to intervene and take you home, though."

"Taking away from my action? Damn you."

"Hey, it was getting late." Ian avoided all eye contact.

"Yeah, well, whatever." Max groaned, "I'm so fucking tired."

"Me too," Ian chuckled, "How the hell are you up anyway?"

"I don't know, I'm super fucked and hungover though." Max ran a hand through his hair.

The two continued with small talk until the sun completely rose. Ian told Max about Anissa again, and how she was probably going to go for Chad now. Ian would hint at what happened last night, but when Max didn't seem to understand the reference, he would quickly move on. He didn't want him to catch on that something out of the ordinary happened. Not yet.