Curiosity piqued, he hid behind a wall and peeked at the current situation.

In the common area is a small dining set mainly rarely used. The interior of the room has a color scheme of dark violet and black, giving off a natural dark aesthetic. On either side of the table were Kanato and her. She has Teddy in her hands, a cutter dangerously close on the stuffed toy's neck. Kanato, on the other hand, was holding her tablet up high.

Both have the things that are worth their life. It was a tie and obviously, the first to admit defeat is the loser.

By now, angry tears were pouring down the violet-haired male. "Give Teddy back! How dare you threaten me! I'll kill —"

"Oh my gosh, I think my hand is going to slip and slice poor Teddy's head off!" the girl challenged, silencing Kanato.

'She's really amusing.'

It was not the first time that she fought his brothers in a feisty manner. She competed with Ayato once in the game of beer pong. She had an astounding win which deflated the ego of his prideful brother.

"Kanato, let's be civilized humans— human and vampire here," she said. "You give me that back and I'll give you Teddy back."

The other sniffed, glaring hatefully at the girl. "It's your fault! Teddy and I just wanted to play with you." he sniffed. "But you're not even paying attention to us."

"Last time I checked, trying to bite my neck is not a form of playing."

And his cry only got louder.

"Oh for the love of—!" she had a constipated face on as she glared at the male.

Laito couldn't stifle a laugh. He had always adored the variety of faces the girl could make. He finds it endearing.

"I'm going to destroy this—" and with that, the crybaby prepared himself to throw the tablet to the floor.

"Kanato, no—!"

"Kanato." Laito emerged from his hiding spot, keeping his usual demeaning smile. "Give it back to her."

"Why should I!? She got Teddy."

Laito sighed at this. He turned to the girl and held out a hand.

"No."

"Trust me."

Both stated at each other for a long time.

'Trust me once again. Please.' his eyes told her.

"... Kanato, let's play!" the girl ignored his outstretched hand and instead walked to the violet-haired male. She grabbed said male's hand and walked away as fast as she can.

"Unhand me! I despise you! Laito!" Kanato's voice faded as the two went away.

...

"Ouch." the redhead joked to himself, clutching on his chest. Though he tried to lighten his own mood, the pain in his chest was still there.

"Why does my heart keep hurting?" he patted his chest, clearing his throat. "Heart failure?"

He just couldn't get what was happening in his body, particularly his heart. It keeps beating too hard whenever he sees the girl. It aches whenever she ignores him and instead pay attention to other people.

"Jealousy?" he asked. "... That can't be it. Such emotion is not for me."

------

As a being of the night, Laito never believed in the presence of a higher being. Rather, he detests such concept. Especially the place of worship humans build in order to glorify them. It annoyed him for these places also prove to make him feel so uncomfortable.