7

"Please calm down," Caleb pleaded. Jacobi was fighting his wolf for control. "If you fight him it will start a war. Too many women and children will be harmed."

"I don't care," Jacobi growled.

I heard someone shouting outside and made my way to the window. The other alpha stood there shouting to a crowd of wolves.

"Yes!" He shouted. "You heard me right, your alpha has marked a girl with the mindset of a child! Who will he want next? Your daughter? Your neighbor's little girl? He cannot be trusted! Your alpha is a pedophile!"

"What's a pedophile?" I asked out loud. Jacobi hurried over to the window.

"That fucking-" he was cut off by his own growl. His wolf was taking over. Caleb tried to grab him, but he was too fast. Snapping bones and angry growls filled the room as both Jacobi and Caleb shifted.

Cobi was much larger than Caleb and had thick grey and black fur. Caleb stood there with grey fur that had a thick brown stripe from his shoulders to his tail.

"Cobi?" I questioned. I stepped back as an angry wolf rushed past me and another chased after it. Out the window I watched Cobi's wolf tackle the other man.

Almost immediately the other Alpha shifted to wolf form. He was almost as big as Cobi but made up for his smaller size in muscle. His brown and black fur reminded me of a German shepherd.

They circled each other for a moment before Harmon bit at Cobi, just barely missing and earning a hard bite on his back leg. Caleb tackled Cobi and my wolf became restless.

I stepped outside and found that Caleb had Cobi pinned down and Harmon stood waiting for their next move. I walked closer to the two frozen-looking wolves. Their growls were terrifying, but I could tell they weren't interested in hurting each other. I crouched down beside them and touched the fur on the side of Cobi's jaw.

"What is she doing?" Someone in the crowd shouted. Caleb stepped off of him and Cobi leaned into my touch, his wolf loving every second of affection from his mate. I ran my fingers through his soft fur.

I heard a growl from behind me and Cobi's eyes snapped open with a returning growl. He jumped up from the ground and stood over me. He was so tall I simply sat under him.

He crouched down into a defensive stance over me and I watched as Harmon tried to take advantage of his weakness.

Me.

Harmon lunged forward and tried to bite at me under Cobi's ribs. His teeth snapped so close to my face that I felt his hot saliva splash out onto me. It oozed down my face and I couldn't help, but start crying. I cried both in fear and disgust.

Jacobi caught Harmon by his front leg and yanked so hard I heard a snap followed by a yelp. Harmon pulled away with his paw bent up against his chest and let out a frustrated growl before lunging forward again. He was blocked by Caleb, who then started nudging Cobi away from the fight with pleading eyes.

I could tell Cobi had no intentions of leaving the wounded wolf alive and I only started crying harder, catching his attention. He turned his head to look at me and licked my face to calm me.

He turned his back on the retreating alpha and nudged me to stand before walking towards the house. I followed, still sniffling and he sat on the floor in wolf form.

"Cobi," I sniffled as I sat in front of him. He put his head on my lap and licked my hand. "I'm sorry I got you in trouble."

He sat up again and licked my face. His wolf didn't show any signs of leaving me to give Cobi control again. I ran my fingers through his long fur, watching as my fingers disappeared in the grey.

"Your fur so pretty," I said quietly. "Mine's just white and grey."

He laid down across my lap while I pet him. I rubbed down his back and side, around his ears, and rubbed down the muscles in his legs. He fell asleep after only a few minutes.