Chapter X

Standing in front of her mirror, Rey was busy tying her hair back. Ever since she had fallen through that hole on Ahch-To and landing in water messed her hair up, she preferred the look with some of her hair down compared to all up in three buns. She had kept it that way because that was how she had worn her hair as a child. Changing up her appearance meant she had begun moving away from her past.

Let go of your past. Kylo's words in the Throne Room repeated once again. Kill it if you have to.

Ben.

Her arms dropped as she huffed. He had hurt her yesterday with his declaration. She had already forgiven what he said, but his blatant disregard for her feelings was what stung, not the words.

When she resumed tying the elastic around the locks of hair she had gathered, Kylo's reflection suddenly appeared in the mirror. Rey glanced at him then looked back at herself, not saying anything in hopes he would understand her irritation. He didn't say anything either, just continued to look at her.

Uneasiness radiated from him. Rey's eyes shot over to his dark form—he had never expressed that emotion before. She wondered what made him feel anxious.

"Are you ever going to say anything or are you just going to stand there?" Rey asked after the awkwardness continued to grow, with neither making a sound.

Her speaking seemed to break him out of a trance, for Kylo blinked then turned his eyes to the floor. He cleared his throat and his mouth moved, but she didn't hear anything.

Once again, Rey stopped fixing her hair and watched him curiously. "What did you say?"

Keeping his eyes on the floor, Kylo cleared his throat again and spoke—loud enough for her to hear, but still as a whisper. "I said, sorry."

Rey thought she had misheard him—clearly that word couldn't have come out of his mouth. She needed to test if he truly was apologizing. "Sorry for what?"

"For what I said yesterday; you understand my pain better than anyone else. I hurt you, and I don't mean to." His eyes lifted to hers. "I truly don't."

Stunned, Rey slowly turned to face him. The bold, intimidating, and always enraged Kylo Ren wasn't standing before her; the gentle, withdrawn, and timid Ben Solo was. He resembled a boy filled with remorse and seeking forgiveness.

And it was true regret reflecting in those brown eyes. His attempting to apologize meant the Light in him wasn't entirely gone like he wanted to pretend. Maybe she was drawing that side back out; she could save Ben Solo as Leia predicted. Rey fought to keep her excitement hidden.

"I've already forgiven you, Ben. Words are just words usually unchecked when spoken in anger. But thank you for apologizing."

His lowered head lifted. "You must've been reading a Sacred Jedi Text—you're sounding like one."

She laughed. "No, I haven't. I promised not to without you to help translate them."

"But you aren't angry with me anymore?"

Rey shook her head. "Staying mad has never made me feel strong, but vulnerable—anything can get under my skin." She cut her eyes at him. "Just don't say I don't know something when I do."

Kylo chuckled softly as he nodded. "Noted."

***

After he apologized, Rey saw Ben Solo more and more—in his actions, in the way he spoke, how he looked at her, and because he laughed. Truly laughed; not just a chuckle. He looked far more relaxed now. Kylo Ren was gone when he showed.