FIVE

FIVE

The guys who'd rescued us were dragons. Onver was a brass dragon. The guy who'd asked for our names – Leka, the one in charge – was a bronze dragon. And the guy who'd caught the wailing lynx was Sunny, a younger than Over brass dragon. The other guys were normal shifters: jaguar; tiger; wolf; bear; hawk; and buzzard.

Once we were out of the building, we had to run. Run over rough, sharp stones that stung our feet. Leka had cursed the fact that we didn't have shoes, and had said that they'd carry us across the sharp stones. And so, Onver had ended up with me and the wailing lynx in his arms, the others had carried others, and those that hadn't shifted back to their human form where running, or flying. Some were small enough to be carried on some of the carried girls.

At the end of the stones, a coach waited for us. Putting us down, they ushered us on. I didn't, I stood by the door and watched girls pass me with weariness in their eyes. They were unsure who to protect. And so I did the only thing I could think of, I gave them something to think about. "Think about what your name should be."

Finally getting on the coach myself, with the now awake-jaguar, not the wailing lynx and the wolf following me on board. The males followed on afterwards after a final check.

Looking around, I saw that the back held eight shifters and some seats two seats held three. Looking in the direction of the males that had rescued us, I could understand why, they nearly took up half the bus themselves. And one had taken up two seats because of the size of him. And it wasn't because he was fat. He was just so big.

It was only then that I thought that getting out had been too easy. The girls were making enough noise, so I voiced what I thought to the girls around me. They frowned and agreed, just as I heard the driver say. "Raven's, four to eight o'clock. Red dragon, six o'clock."

I shuffled out my seat as I saw the guys who saved us prepare. Moving to the back, the girls quietened around me. Looking out the back window, showed me a red dragon.

It was massive, it's long grey wings eating up the space between it and the coach. It's scales were a fire red, and two long horns reached out from the back of it's head.

I heard the wind become louder and turned in time to see Leka and Sunny jump out the coach, shifting as the fell, their dragon feet touched the ground before they hit it, they pushed off the ground, roaring at the red dragon, who replied in kind.

On reaching the red dragon, Leka spun up then back at the red dragon, but, on his way down, the ravens swarmed him, making Leka have to concentrate on them first. Sunny got close to the red dragon, and opened his mouth at the red dragon, I couldn't see anything, but I had the feeling that he was trying to put the red dragon to sleep. The red dragon dodged Sunny's attack, coming up behind Sunny and exhaling fire. Sunny's roar echoed, filled with so much pain that I wanted to follow. To help.

Why not follow? You can help! A small voice said. He's in so much pain, he needs help!

Decision made, I ran to the front of the coach, the girls parting to let me through from where they'd crowed behind me. Getting to the open coach door, the others obviously only just realised what I planned to do. Arms wrapped around me as I went to jump.

"What the hell are you doing?" demanded a voice I recognised, Onver.

"I've got to help!" I tried to struggle free, and even when I went limp, pretending I'd given up, he still didn't let go. Instead, tightening his arms, he rocked, and then stood, not letting go of me. Sitting down he told the driver to keep going.

A large man who was sitting next to Onver looked at me. "I think someone is trying to put idea's in her head. Her eyes are glassy."

Onver moved me so that he could look at me, when he saw my eyes, he sighed. Opening his mouth, he exhaled. Darkness took over.