Chapter 14

Nicolas arrived two days later. He dropped his luggage at the apartment and came directly to my office. I had been working with a model and Caroline, a seamstress, when he gathered me in his arms and gave me a scorching kiss melting my brains and battering my heart. I started crying and mumbling to him incoherent words, the happiness I felt overwhelming my emotions, as my fisted hand hit him on the shoulder.

He was laughing and kissed me on the cheeks and wiping away my tears with his fingers.

"You never saw it coming." He whispered to me. I shook my head pouting at him. "That had been my intention. A story to tell our children."

"Yes, it's going to be a good story."

"Is it ok if I took you out now." He glanced at the two women I completely forgot about in the moment. 

I looked behind me at the two women who were staring at us and sighing with pleasure at the scene.

"Go!" Caroline shooed us. "I will take care of this outfit. Now go both of you."

I gathered my coat and bag as Nicolas dragged me out of the office. The other staff members of my atelier were all standing out clapping and cheering as we passed by them. Veronic stood at the door of her office and when she saw us she came to Nicolas and kissed him on both cheeks.

"If you break her heart, you'll have me to deal with." She whispered to him.

"Let's hope she doesn't break mine first." He grinned at her. Veronic narrowed her eyes at him for a second then her lips spread in a wide smile.

We left the atelier, we stopped at a café had drinks and food and talked. He told me everything about how he had planned to go to my father after he had spoken with my mother, but first he needed to be sure that I would accept his proposal, and when I did he gave my mother the green light and flew to London to gather his family and flew them all to Kuwait to meet with my own family to formally propose to me.

"How?" I was in a daze as I heard his side of the story. 

"You think I wasn't listening when you told me about how your father had proposed to your mother? I did and understood. I also did my own research. I found out for a man to marry a Muslim girl he has to convert, so I went during the day while you're at the office to meet with a clerk at the Mosque of Paris. We had long talks about faith and religion." He explained taking my hand in his, kissing my knuckles.

"Nicolas. I would never ask you to do that." I whispered hoarsely as a shiver ran through me. 

"I know, but I also know for things to be legal and formal between us I have to convert. I'm going to tell you what I told my parents when I announced my intention. Faith is faith, whether it was Christianity or Islam or even Judaism. It is in the heart. All I know is I want to spend the rest of my life with you. The rest doesn't matter." He leaned and claimed my lips. "I love you Leah."

"I love you too." I whispered, my eyes burning with tears. Happy tears. "You don't know how much what you did for me means."

"Let's get back to the apartment, so you can show me how much you love me." His silvery eyes glittered with anticipation and hunger.

We left the café and headed back to our apartment. I paused at the thought. It was 'Our apartment'. I felt warmth coursing through my body. By the time we were inside we were tearing at each other's clothes before we reached the bedroom.