"Child, you have nothing to gain by lying. All the truth shall come out eventually." The judge told me. Right, I had forgotten what Noah had told me. They would know if I was lying. 

"Right. With Noah it was different." I paused, wanting to make sure I wouldn't be called out for lying again. "We had a deeper connection, I don't know what it was. I don't..." 

"You had a physical relationship?" The judge guessed. 

"Sort of. It wasn't... it didn't rely on being physical. It was more of an emotional connection I think. There was never anything more than a kiss." I replied, feeling my face flush red.

"Angels are not allowed a physical relationship with humans." The judge stated, though she was frowning, and looked thoughtful. 

"I know." I whispered, ashamed. It wasn't me that would get in trouble for this breach, it was Noah.

"However, the child, Emilia, is not human." She continued, I looked up at her in surprise. "Readers." She raised her palm, like she had done before, a signal for the angels (were they known as readers?) to start communicating, to make some sort of decision. I guess this time that decision would be about our relationship.

As before, they turned to speak to their neighbours, before a pile of neatly stacked slips of paper was placed on the Judge's desk. She leafed through them quickly, although I was on the edge of my seat (not quite literally - the ropes bound me in a way that I was unable to slide forwards) so it seemed like it took longer. 

"The rule is in place to protect humans from dying while seeing the light. It is not technically to stop the production of offspring. Our rules here were set in stone when Caelum was formed. They will not change, there is no rule that prohibits an angel from having relations with a nephilim, therefore neither of you shall be punished." She spoke clearly, and I breathed a sigh of relief. It would be allowed. "However, we have decided that since you are half angel, you will be expected to abide by our rules. You may not have any physical relations with humans. And you will follow the rules of the mortals when walking on Earth. We aren't sure if nephilim have an angelic form that can be revealed that can hurt a human, though clearly you can survive seeing an angels light, given you are still alive in this place."

Was that what all the light was? That seemed to glow from nowhere in particular, yet lit up the room entirely? Was it the angels themselves? I suppose they didn't have to hide here.

"Now that that is settled, we wish to know what enhanced abilities you have, at least the ones you have noticed." 

"Um..." I tried to think. "I think my senses have improved, I can see and hear better, my reactions are quicker. I'm stronger now, and faster. I was unharmed after being hit with a van... although I still got injured after I broke a rock. That's all... I think."

The judge nodded, but didn't speak again for a moment. Instead, she raised a palm and once again I sat waiting for the paper to be delivered, and a verdict to be reached.

"Emilia." She addressed me once she had looked through the paper. "We have made the decision that you shall be allowed to stay here, in Caelum. You will be provided with anything you need, food, drink, a place to stay, for example. However, this is on the condition that you regularly report to the council to report new or increased abilities. You must keep us updated on your powers. You may also go to Earth only if accompanied by another angel, you also must inform us in advance if you plan to walk among the mortals. Should you follow these rules, along with our rules already set for angels, you will be allowed to stay, with the same rights as any angel. Do you accept?" 

"Y-yeah. I accept." I was a little bewildered as the guards came forward and removed my restraints. Even as I was gently pushed towards the large archway to my right, I couldn't quite believe it.

The archway led to a tunnel of sorts, only I could see some kind of natural light at the end, so it must lead to the outdoors. I took a hesitant step towards it, half expecting to be pulled back. But I wasn't.

As far as the council was concerned, I was a resident of Caelum now. I had the same rights as any angel up here. Though I wasn't sure what that meant. I guess I should go find someone that I knew, to ask for help. What I needed help with, I wasn't entirely sure. 

But I was pretty lost here, and I could use a helping hand. 

The judge had given me a slip of paper and a nod as I left, which I now clutched in my hand, I hadn't looked at what it was yet. 

Walking down the tunnel, which was almost entirely white, I was surprised to see grass beginning to grow on the tiled floor. It was long, almost reaching my fingertips, and it got thicker the further I walked down, though a path had been cleared through the middle of the tunnel. 

I kept walking, and soon a thick pearly mist seemed to take the place of the white marble-like floor. I was surprised to find that I could stand on it, perhaps it simply covered more of the marble, only it felt a lot softer. 

The light from the outside was intense as I neared it, but my eyes adjusted quickly, and soon I had a glimpse of the magnificent world outside of the tunnel. 

Wow.

_____________________________

Apologies that this is a little shorter than my chapters usually are! But the next one should be longer to make up for it.

Please vote/comment if you liked it!

(Also, I've started writing a new book, Phoenix, if anyone is interested! It's about a girl born with the ability to control fire.)

Thanks!