Chapter 14

Oliver Fitzgerald glanced between the two teens. "Burning Clarissa's locket will do nothing to stop the devil since my daughter was just a vessel. Contrary to popular belief, spirits do not disappear just because you burn their remains." He explained.

Quentin took a step forward. "So we explode this fucking hellhole. What next?"

"Young man, you get to live a normal, happy and long life and all of this will just be a distant memory." He smirked. "Like a funny story to tell all your friends about."

Faith nodded in agreement. "Where can we find the entrance to the tunnels?" She asked. "The blueprint doesn't show it."

The doctor grabbed the blueprint and ripped it apart. "Almost every single document was altered by Barden. He didn't like loose ends and basically destroyed everything that could incriminate him." He turned around dramatically. "The only thing you can trust is my journal. I only wrote the truth."

Quentin walked closer to Fitzgerald. "Why didn't you report Barden? What he was doing here was illegal."

"Because I had to make sure Clarissa was safe." He turned to the couple. "I couldn't let them experiment on my wife. Which is why I gave Charlie the key of his cell so he could escape and tell the police what was going on here. Of course, it all escalated rather quickly and the patients took everything a bit too far." He smiled softly. "But I don't regret it because what was going on here was far worse than some petulant spirits."

Faith smiled brightly. "Then let's bring this bitch down!" Quentin chuckled and Oliver nodded in agreement.

---

Clarissa touched Dylan's shoulder. "I think we should go back to Faith and Quentin. They must be worried about us and now we know that burning my remains won't do any good." She furrowed her eyebrows. "I'm really sorry about Riley. She didn't deserve this."

"Thank you." Dylan nodded before taking his beanie off. He placed the grey beanie on the bannister while taking one last look at Riley's body.

Cassie shook her head before leaving with the black haired boy and the benevolent spirit. "I might have an idea to protect you all." Clarissa spoke.

The blonde sighed and stopped in her tracks. "For the first time in my life something creepy and exciting is happening. I absolutely dislike the fact that my best friends died and, even though I did not care for Riley, she shouldn't have died either. So, we don't need protection. Instead, get us the fuck out!" Dylan and Clarissa stared at her. "Please."

Dylan turned to Clarissa. "What can we do to leave this place?"

"There are tunnels beneath the building but there's no way out." Clarissa replied. "But I have an idea."

---

Quentin and Faith opened the entrance to the tunnels and looked at the bottom. The smell was worse than a dumpster and it was all damp and dark. "We need to get Dylan, Cassie and Riley." The brunette said.

Oliver glanced at the basement's door and panic washed over his face. "You're on your own now. Clarissa is nearby and I have to leave."

"Why?" Faith asked with knitted eyebrows.

The good doctor sighed heavily. "We haven't seen each other since we died in 64. I'm not worthy to be in her presence but she knows exactly what to do." He disappeared into thin air.

Quentin raised an eyebrow and looked at his girlfriend. "Don't you hate when ghosts just disappear without even saying goodbye? I mean, that's just rude!" Faith chuckled and nudged his arm.

The door to the basement opened, showing Dylan and Cassie with frowns on their faces. "Hey!" Clarissa said from behind the couple, scaring both Faith and Quentin. "I see you found the entrance to the tunnels." She pointed out.

Faith looked around the room with a stern expression. "Where's Riles?" She asked. "She went with you and was supposed to come with you as well." Fear traveled to her face. "Where the fuck is my best friend?" She shouted.

"I'm sorry." Dylan said without looking into his friend's eyes. "Riley got possessed and the spirit killed her." Tears escaped his eyes.

The brunette slapped the black haired boy and started crying and screamed from grief. "She was my best friend and you let her get killed!" She shoved Dylan and buried her face on Quentin's chest. "I can't... No, I cant leave without Riley."

Quentin pulled away and grabbed his girlfriend by the shoulders. "Fay, we need to leave before whatever killed Riley kills us too."

Faith shook her head. "No!" She shouted. "Riley was like a sister to me. We've been best friends since birth and I can't imagine my life without her." She looked around the room with a disappointed expression. "Fuck you all!"

Clarissa touched Faith's shoulder and the grieving teen fell on the floor. "What did you do?" A worried Quentin ran to his girlfriend and held her hand while checking for pulse.

"I put her to sleep." Clarissa replied. "We have to activate the explosives before blowing the asylum and she wasn't in her right mind which I understand." The brunette smiled softly. "She will be fine."

Cassie widened her hazel eyes. "Cool. Can you teach me how to put annoying people to sleep?" She asked before everyone glared at her due to her inappropriate remark.