penelope clutterbucket

prompt: she gives him a fake name

/

Coffee girl.

That was the name he had given her. He could never gather up the courage to approach her and learn her real name. Lucas did not want to set himself up for rejection.

He had been going to that café ever since he began working at the veterinary clinic nearby. All of his lunch breaks were spent at the table by the window; but he only really started looking forward to it when the blonde also started going.

Sometimes she sketched at her table with a steaming mug of fresh coffee, and sometimes she hung out at the counter to bother Lauren, the barista.

There was something about her that made him nervous like a schoolboy with a crush. Lucas could only do as much as watch from afar and steal glances.

He only hoped that some day, she would notice him and she'd be the one to strike up a conversation.

And then, it finally happened.

"Hey."

Her voice was soft, yet demanding. Lucas glanced up from his phone, brows lifted in slight surprise.

"Hi," he smiled. "Hello."

The blonde grinned, sending his heart fluttering. "What's up?" She held her hand up, rolling her eyes. "And don't say the ceiling—I hate that joke."

Lucas chuckled softly, shaking his head. "Wasn't going to... Um, I'm on my break right now, actually."

"Oh, where do you work?" She asked, tucking a stray piece of hair behind her ear.

"Uh, I'm a vet and I work at the clinic across the street. Right there." Lucas pointed towards the building.

"Cool," she nodded, grinning at him. "I'm Penelope—Penelope Clutterbucket."

A small smile tugged at the corner of his lips.

"Don't make fun of the name." She quickly said, raising her brows pointedly.

"Alright." He slightly bowed his head. "Nice to meet you, I'm Lucas Friar."

"Mmm, I'm gonna call you Ranger Rick."

"Okay."

"So, Ranger Rick," Penelope took the seat across from his, clapping her hands together. "I need a favour from you."

He furrowed his brows curiously. "Oh. What is it?"

"My roommate is getting married," she slowly explained. "She's always teasing me about being single and I'm sick of it."

"I'm sorry, what's the favour?"

"I need a date. For the wedding." Penelope stared at him with pleading eyes, her lips pressed together as she waited for his response.

What was the harm? He had been wanting to go out with her for the longest time—and now the universe was giving him a chance.