the girl upstairs

prompt: neighbours au

/

Lucas moves into his first apartment. It's in the Greenwich Village and it's small and cozy; perfect for a single guy in his early 20's.

It's only been a few years since he's moved to the big apple, but he would say he knows the city pretty well. After all, he's always been good at adapting to new places and surroundings.

So it's a bit of a surprise—scratch that; a big surprise when he sees a lady standing in his kitchen.

"Holy shit." He nearly drops the boxes he's holding.

She spins around and she casually nods her head at him. "What's up?"

Lucas furrows his brows, stepping back to check the suite number in case he had walked into the wrong apartment.

He hadn't.

"Who are you?"

"Your neighbor from upstairs." The blonde lady approaches him, holding out her hand.

He notices it and places his boxes on the floor.

"Oops, too slow." She says when he gets up, withdrawing her hand.

What the hell?

"How did you get in here?" Lucas scratches the back of his head.

"The window," she grins, pointing at the open window by his living room. "Just crawled right though."

"Um, if you're trying to rob me, I literally have nothing to steal." He says, gesturing at the empty living space.

"Nah, I just wanted to borrow some sugar." She says.

"Okay, but I just moved in and I don't have any groceries with me." He explains.

"Yeah, I didn't need the sugar anyway." The lady chuckles. "I don't even bake—the last time I tried, I almost burned the whole apartment down."

Lucas nods, standing awkwardly. "So, what did you need?"

She shrugs, her eyes scanning the spacious apartment. "I just wanted to meet the newbie, I'm friends with the landlord so..."

"Oh," he smiles. "Well, I'm Lucas."

"Are you from Texas?" she tilts her head to the side with narrowed eyes, ignoring his extended hand. "I'm getting some cowboy vibes from you."

"Yeah, I'm from Austin." He says, dropping his hand.

She stands there for a minute or two and there's an awkward silence.

"Alright, peace out." The lady says before climbing up the fire escape.

Lucas quickly looks away when her big shirt rides up, exposing her baby blue underwear.

He never catches her name.

But it's not the last he sees of her.