Heartaches and Heartbeats

Start from the beginning

“How did they find us?” I heard Jordan mumble as he placed his arm around me protectively. “Just keep moving, baby.”

One particularly aggressive photographer shoved me as he stuck his camera in my face, and flashed it, blinding me as little lights gleamed in my blurry vision.

Jordan cursed at him, “Back off!”

I held tightly to Jordan’s arm as I blindly followed him through the chaos and into his car.

“I’m sorry about that, Lia,” he sighed as he drove. “Are you hurt?”

“Not because of them,” I shook my head and rested my head on my hand as my elbow leaned on the window.

My head throbbed.

Jordan looked concerned as he reached over and placed his hand on my knee. “Because of him?”

“It just doesn't seem like he suffered. It's like I shed all of these tears and had all of this heartache and he just moved on with a perfect life and no consequences. Before now, in my head I could imagine he'd left us for another family and they turned out to be awful and he was somewhere in the world wishing he'd stayed. Now that fantasy is gone and I feel betrayed. It scares me that he could move on and just forget about me like that. I mean, it’s like, if my own father can do that, will other people get tired of me and leave? Part of me really just wants to see him suffering. Does that make me a horrible person?”

Jordan shook his head, “No, baby, that makes you human. You're not the bad guy here, he is for hurting you. Don't put that burden on yourself.”

I gave him a smile small as I rested my hand on top of his. His loving eyes seemed to promise me the world and that he'd never hurt me the way Jack had. My heart believed that, but my head kept taunting me that I was setting myself up for failure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Lia?” The sing-song voice of the medical assistant dressed in pink scrubs caught my attention.

I closed my crossword puzzle book as I stood up and looked across the room at Jordan who had stepped into the corner for a phone call.

His eyebrows were drawn together and he seemed frustrated as he whispered into his phone before his eyes locked with mine.

Since the paparazzi had spotted Jordan and I in front of Jack’s office I was worried about going to the doctor’s office together, but he insisted that he wanted to come along.

I gestured that I was heading back and he nodded.

I walked over to the medical assistant and she grinned.

“Are you all set?”

“Yes,” I couldn't help, but smile from her cheeriness. “He'll be back soon.”

“Okay, c’mon on back, I'm Samantha, by the way.”

“It's nice to meet you, Samantha,” I followed her to the back.

She took my basic measurements before leading me to a room. She grinned as she flipped through my chart.

“I'm a big New Kids on the Block fan.”

“Oh, yeah?” I bit my lip, unsure of how to respond.

“Don't worry, I'm not a psycho fan that wants to kill you for having Jordan Knight's baby and I'm bound by HIPAA to keep your secret safe. I think you make a cute couple.”

“Thanks,” I relaxed.

“Is he just the sweetest ever? Jordan, I mean.”

I smiled, “Yeah, he really is. He's so supportive and caring.”