I take the nearest seat to me and sit down heavily from the weight of my armour, but no one notices as the king starts talking about his battle plans.
I take a covert look around the room at the men nearby and recognise one as Sir Edmund, a fellow knight and Earl of Cornwall.
He nods at me, smiling and I nod back; gesturing my mutual respect for him. I've met him a couple of times before in similar circumstance and we've always got on.
None of the others seem too enthusiastic about being summoned here and I can sense that a few of them are drinking to disguise their indifference towards the King and his cause.

It doesn't fill me with confidence in his authority but I have little choice and must make the best of a bad situation for the sake of the men. Whatever task I'm given I will ensure that it's carried out successfully, for their sake as well as my own.

The king proceeds to inform us how the Welsh have been getting rowdy with the English soldiers posted at the borders and causing unrest. Nothing too serious by the sounds of it, but a confrontation is just waiting to happen and the Kings closest advisors seem to think it's best if we preempt it.

I can't say that I agree, seeing as no actual reports of violence have been confirmed. I'm sure our presence will only antagonise an already disgruntled local population but I continue to nod my understanding as he explains the plan.

A garrison of men including my own is to travel to the borders in the morning and make our presence known. We are to warn off any Welsh and put down resistance by any means necessary.

The king's ongoing drawl is interrupted by yet more wine and food being brought into the tent and most of the men around the table take full advantage of it, falling on it like vultures.

They're getting more and more rowdy by the minute and I stand from my chair abruptly, ready to leave.
The air inside the tent is stifling and I have no wish to discuss anything other than business with these men so I excuse myself, bowing to the king and hastily retreating to the entrance.

I stand just outside having received my instructions, my heart and head feeling heavier than they have in months. It's raining lightly and I welcome the cool breeze that accompanies it as I stand immobile, contemplating my next actions.

"Warm in there isn't it" I hear someone mumble behind me, causing me to step aside to let him pass from the tent flap.

It's Sir Edmund and my shoulders slump in relief as we walk slowly away from the recent discussions. "You look troubled Sir Maxwell?"

"Do I?" I smile at him amused. I remember him having a good sense of humour and his tone is lighthearted.

"Tell me friend, was your veal as good as mine?" he asks patting his stomach "I'll not shit for a week!"

We both laugh heartily and I pat him on the back as we walk; gesturing for him to join me as we make our way to the campfire my men will have made.

"It's good to see you Sir Edmund. How is Cornwall these days?"

"Ahh Cornwall. She is a feisty mistress but I think I may have finally tamed her." He jokes, smiling dreamily.

"Good to hear"

"How's Arundel, and this new wife of yours, that I keep hearing so much about? There is much talk of her beauty"

There's that stab of pain again. Every mention of Cassie causes an ache to well up inside of me, threatening to overwhelm me at any moment, but I swallow it down, eager to return to our previously easy conversation.

"She is well thank you Sir Edmund. And yes exceedingly beautiful. Being a Countess comes with its own challenges and tasks but I have every faith she'll carry them out with great success." I say, noticing that my voice drips with tenderness.