Chapter 1

Chapter One

Malakai (Kai) Deacon walked to his martial arts class in high spirits. Dressed in a light yellow long sleeved shirt and dark blue low rise jeans he hummed as he strolled down the brightly light hallway to the locker room. His blonde hair was highlighted with streaks of gold. He smiled at those who passed him, they looked away without meeting his gaze. His smile faltered but he continued to his assigned locker.

Kai was used to the people around his not meeting his gaze, he was used to everyone acting like he was different. He knew he was different, his mother always told him he was, his eyes told him so as well. His hands paused on the tumbler to his lock. Why couldn't everyone just treat him like they did everyone else? Why couldn't his mother tell him who his father was so that he could finally know what his mother whispered about in her sleep? Kai sighed and opened his locker.

Neatly stacked inside were his shoes and a towel, on the back of the locker was a black and white image of a pair of boxing gloves. Kai quickly dressed and breathed in deeply trying to calm his mind. No matter how much he ignored it he could feel his peers staring at him. He ached to be out practicing so that he could concentrate on something else. He smiled once more before shutting his locker and walking out.

"Alright, ladies and gentlemen," Kai's instructor yelled. Kai flexed his muscles once more before turning away from the mirror and watching his ancient instructor begin to tell the class what to do. Kai went through the practice without his thoughts wavering once. Some of the guys in his class resented him for his fluidity in his movements, most of them couldn't match Kai's pace and they held that against him. The girls though, they desired him for it.

There were those of both sexes that desired Kai for his beauty and for the way he moved as if unhindered by the world. To them, he was oxygen to flame, all they ever wanted. The fact that he was aloof and distant spiked their interests even more. Kai Deacon, to the female species, was an enigma. He held himself proudly even though he was scorned by others. He talked as if bells were within his voice box. The female species was enamored and the males hated the young man even more for it.

Kai sighed once class was finished and he was finally outside. The cool night air felt good on his overheated body and he welcomed it. He turned his face up to the moon and let its cold rays wash over him. At night Kai always felt more alive, as if the moon welcomed him and treated him like family. He opened his eyes and watched his peers leave one by one. None of them said anything to him as they walked by, Kai pushed away some of his negative thoughts and began to walk home.

"Mom, I'm home." Kai called out when he stepped inside his apartment. The Deacon's lived in a small, old apartment complex in the middle of a busy downtown district. Their apartment was on the fifth floor and because the building was old, there wasn't an elevator so Kai had to walk up five flights of stairs to get home.

The apartment was silent except for a small buzz sounding from the TV in the living room. There was no denying the fact that Kai's mother was home, her shoes and clothes were littered down the hallway. Kai sighed and picked up his mother's belongings as he found his way in the dark.

Kristin Deacon was sitting on the living room couch in nothing but her bathrobe watching the muted television. Kristin had short brown hair and a lovely face, she was young but her green eyes showed nothing but wisdom and sorrow. She looked over at her son and grimaced.

"I didn't hear you come in." Kristin muttered before turning her gaze back to the TV. Kai ran a hand through his hair and sighed, loudly.

"You never hear me come in, Mom." Kai told his mother. Kirstin cocked her head just slightly and pushed out her lower lip.