Chapter 23

Chapter Twenty Three

"Where is my father?" Kai growled, his two colored eyes flashing white. Zee smiled at the boy before him and sighed softly before moving closer.

"I can not tell you that. But if you come with me, I will bring you to him." Zee still had that smile on his face, it sent chills down Kai's spine. For some reason, he got the feeling that his father may be more than anyone had ever realized.

"Let me go home, Zee." Kai begged, kis eyes darting around the room to see if he could escape.

Zee crossed his arms over his chest, still giving a cold smile. "Home? Your home is with your father, not that man whose smell is all over you. Too bad I didn't kill that beast. He deserves to die for defiling my master's precious offspring."

Kai's legs shook with his anger and he dug his hands into the soft bed beneath him. He blamed himself for being caught by Zee. .All his wished for in this moment was for Cian and the children to be safe. Now he didn't even care who his father was. If he died in this house without ever knowing what happened to Cian, he would haunt his father forever. The thought made him smile. Kai released the bed from his fierce grip and stared out the window instead of looking at Zee.

In the background, Kai could hear Zee talking to someone, asking the to quickly inform the "master" that Kai was in the room. As Kai was concentrating on the world outside the window, thinking of nothing other that Cian, the sound of the birds song enveloped him. He stopped breathing when he heard the crunch of a dead tree branch. His senses extremely sharp, his eyes shifted to the forest outside the window.

Everything seemed to come together at once when a yellow sparkle brought his attention to the left. The moon was bright enough that some rays were making their way through the canopy, fracturing as they hit the forest floor beneath it. One ray was shining down on a soft bed of moss. On the moss two large golden paws led up to a soft muzzle and fierce green eyes.

Kai held in his gasp not wanting to startle Zee beside him who had his eyes closed after he had contacted Kai's father. His blood was circulating faster and faster, causing his heart to thud loudly in his chest. The leopard stared at Kai with an intensity that made him feel like prey. Each paw was the size of his head, maybe more, Kai couldn't be sure with the three feet separating them. The eyes of the leopard were a glistening green that could look into any creatures' soul and determined their worthiness.

Kai's eyes locked onto the leopards and he swore it smiled. He knew those green eyes. The leopard stepped forward and Kai let out a small breath. In a matter of seconds, the leopards face was mere inches from his. His eyes were even more dazzling at such a close distance.

There were flakes of black ice in the bright green. A storm was brewing and Kai wanted to scream with triumph, instead he held absolutely still as the leopard smelled him. He took in a deep breath and seemed to relish in whatever scent he caught, he even sniffed Kai again. When he touched his cold, wet, black nose to his, Kai closed his eyes, not even deathly afraid of the huge beast before him.

Kai turned to stone when a scratchy, wet object ran across his face.

His tongue, Kai thought, He licked me! ... I wonder if I taste good...wait! What am I thinking!?

He opened his eyes and found the leopard sitting serenely, his large gold and black tail switching back and forth through the air. The leopard watched him all the while, twitching his tail, it seemed to Kai, in amusement. That was when Kai felt a familiar trembling in his heart. He stared at the leopard before him, watched on as the leopard slowly unfurled golden wings from it's back.