Chapter 3

Noah

I took a deep breath for the fifth time, steadying myself as I sped toward my best friend Pamela's house with Eisley on full blast. With her husband Theo at Levi's, I only had a short window. I needed girl talk, stat. My favorite band could only ease the pain so much.

Even after a year, Levi could knock me off my feet and catch me in the same moment. My skin still burned from his touch, the layers of clothing insignificant.

I'd had to go, though—no matter how much I missed him. The old me would've laughed and started a snowball fight. Levi would've dragged me into the snow with him, flakes coating our hair and clothing. Then he'd lean in, the laughter dying from my lips, and press his warm mouth to mine, tasting me slowly.

I had to clamp my thighs shut while driving, just thinking about it. I could actually feel the scrape of his stubble on my skin.

Pulling into Pamela's driveway, I threw the car door open before the car rolled to a complete stop. Her driveway looked dry, so I hurried to the garage door and punched in the code. Seconds later, I stood in her kitchen, the warmth of the floor seeping into my socked feet.

"Honey, I'm home," I called.

"Upstairs!"

I found her in her bedroom. She sat crosslegged in sweats, her fiery red hair pulled up into a messy bun.

"Stay back," she said, holding out a hand. "I've got a cold."

"Googling home remedies?" I nodded to the laptop in front of her, then plopped down on foot of the bed.

"Sort of." She squinted at me, her hooded brown eyes studying me. "What are you doing here, anyway? I mean, I know we have an open door policy, but it's a Saturday. Weekends should be crisis-free."

"Ha." I traced the snowflake pattern on her duvet. "I just dropped Joey off."

"Oh." She closed her laptop. "What happened?"

"Levi offered to take him more, so I could get my schoolwork done."

"That doesn't sound so bad," Pamela said.

"No," I agreed, "but where was that team spirit before?" I sighed. "I guess I just miss having that team unit, you know?"

She nodded.

"I mean, I know I have you, my sister, and my parents, but . . . it's not the same. Even when we were married, it was mostly me. The more successful he became in his career, the less I had him."

"I know." Pamela gently touched my arm. "It's good that he's trying now, though, isn't it?"

"For how long, though? You and I both know that his schedule is all over the place. I'll be lucky if he doesn't call me tonight, telling me he's been paged." I rolled my eyes.

"Well, if that happens, Theo and I are more than happy to take Joey." She looked away, worrying her lip.

"I appreciate it, but you guys aren't Joey's father. He hardly gets to see Levi as it is," I said, trying to draw her back into the conversation. Pamela nodded, but her eyes remained distant. "What's wrong, Pam?"

She smiled, gaze returning to mine. "Just that balloon head feeling. I'm fine."

Poor Pamela. I needed to make her feel better somehow. "I fell on top of Levi," I blurted.

"What?" Pamela scooted closer, her eyes widening and mouth dropping open. "Spill, now!"

I filled her in, only leaving out my conflicted feelings.