Chapter 23-Part I: "You promised me."

How is it that in such a short time everything can go to hell? How is it fair that everything could become so beautifully perfect and now it was all gone in one fell swoop? But that's just the thing. It isn't fair. Not a single piece of this is fair. It isn't fair. It isn't fair.

  "It isn't fair... It isn't fair... It isn't fair," Madison mumbled repeatedly under her breath.

  Everything was starting to fall into place. Every piece of the puzzle was finding it's spot and the future was looking bright. Now, the pieces had fallen into disarray, far beyond repair.

  Hot tears streamed down Madison's cheeks as sobs wracked violently through her body. Her hands shook as her fingers tried and failed to tighten onto Cedric's sleeve. No matter how many times she tried, her fingers slipped like the unreliable claws of a crane machine. Instead of grasping his sleeves, she simply placed her shaking hands onto his still shoulder as tears fell onto his dirty shirt.

  Through her sobs and sniffles one phrase became clear, "You promised me."

****

Before

   A newspaper landing at the end of Madison's bed, drew her attention from her novel. Mallory stood at the end of her bed with a complex look upon her face  that she couldn't quite decipher.

  "Read," she said simply before sitting at the end of Madison's bed expectantly.

  The girl offered no further explanation so Madison obeyed as her eyes scanned the newspaper article. As she read, her stomach lurched and turned as she drank in every last piece of venom written by Rita Skeeter. The horrid woman detailed a speculated relationship between herself and Cedric. She recounted the events of the first task and the second.

  "The plump little girl was seen hanging onto the poor champion like a monkey," Madison read aloud from the article, "There are witness accounts from students saying she merely follows the Hufflepuff champion, Celery Digger, like a lost puppy, a constant pester. There are official statements that say she has a row to pick with Cho Chang, Celery Digger's fair and intelligent girlfriend. It's quite possible Madison has been inserting herself into the champion's life to sabotage their lovely relationship."

  Madison paused for several moments as she sniffed away the impending waterfall of tears. When she felt she had composed herself enough, she continued.

  "Highly praised and respected student, Draco Malfoy states for the article, 'The poor, dreadful looking girl followed him around and stalked him. He's dating her out of pity.'" Madison reads, rage filling her body, "What the hell is this? I'm not dating Cedric! I don't have it out for Cho! He's not cheating on her! What does this lowly bit-"

  "I know you aren't dating Cedric," Blaire interrupts as she walked into the room, her tone calming in an attempt to assuage Madison's rage, "I just wanted you to see this without being ambushed in the halls by others. Not everyone believes this article is a sham."

  "Yeah not everyone is as cool as we are, so they have to believe this rubbish that Skeeter bitch puts out," Mallory said and much to Madison's surprise, she didn't receive a glare from Blaire for cursing.

  "Thanks guys," Madison said, genuinely happy to have such good friends.

  "Of course," Blaire said, making her way to the door, "do you want to walk down with us to have a late lunch?"

  "No, thanks. You guys go ahead," Madison said, her gaze falling to the unfinished article.

  "Alright if you're sure," Blaire said, unconvinced as she walked back out of the dorm. Mallory hovered behind unnoticed in the doorway as Madison settled herself to continue to read the article. When she spoke, it nearly gave Madison a heart attack.