Part Two

Chelia is attached to my side during the entire car ride. My facial expression hasn't changed, shocked. Tears spill out of my eyes but I don't make any noise. Chelia squeezes my arm and looks at me, but I can't bring myself to move at all.

"Your mom has pancreatic cancer." Sherry had said. After what seems like forever, we pull into the hospital parking lot. I instantly jump out of the car and race across the lot, reviving lots of angry horns for other cars. I hear Chelia and Sherry running after me, but I don't stop. I run up to the front desk and slam my fist on the table.

"Where is Porlyusica Marvel?" The lady at the front desk just glared at me.

"I can't give you that information unless.."

"THAT'S MY MOTHER! TELL ME WHERE SHE IS!" I demand. The lady looks shocked but turns to her computer.

"Room 267 on floor 3," I take off towards the staircase, not having time to wait on an elevator. I continue hearing Sherry and Chelia rushing behind me but I don't stop for them. I make it to the room the nurse told me and bust in through the door, only to see my mom laying on the hospital bed with tons of machines coming out of her.

"Mom," I whisper, choking on my own tears. I rush to her side and grab her hand. She looks at me a smiles through everything.

"Hi, Wendy," she barley manages to get those words out. I can tell she's in a lot of pain. I squeeze her hand as more tears poor out. I hear Sherry and Chelia open the door and come in, standing by the door silently.

"You're gonna be just fine, Mom. I know it," I say. My mom chuckles and smiles at me.

"Honey, no I'm not. The kind of cancer I've been diagnosed with is very deadly. If they'd been able to figure out I had it earlier on, I might've had a chance."

"No! You're gonna be fine!" I yell.

"Wendy. Stop. I don't want you falling apart because of this. You're going to be just fine. You're strong. You have Sherry and Chelia behind you at all times, and if you didn't I wouldn't be so calm." A small pool of tears forms at her eyes.

"I want you to know I'll always be with you. No matter what," she whispers. I feel like I'm drowning in my tears as I lean down and hug her.

"Wendy, your mom is about to go through some treatment. The nurse said we should go," Sherry looks broken-hearted at her own words, so I don't protest. Chelia walks up behind me and takes my hand, walking me out of the room all the way back to the car. Once we get in, Sherry turns to me. "Don't worry about school or anything at all until you feel ready to go back," I barley nod and lean on the window, Chelia up against me. Once we make it home, Chelia helps me in the house and starts us up the stairs into her room.

"I'll make something light for dinner, okay? I doubt you want much, Wendy," she smiles sadly at me and I nod, continuing upstairs. I sit down on her bed and she stands in front of me, hugging me.

"I'm here, Wendy. I always will be," she says. I wrap my arms around her and cry, soaking her shoulder. She squeezes me tightly, and I can tell she's crying too. I truly don't know what I'd do without Chelia and her sister, especially now. Whether mom was working or in the hospital, she and I both knew I always had some place to go when I didn't want to be alone.

Chelia and I stay like this for awhile, at least until Sherry tells us dinner is ready. We slowly make or way downstairs, and what I smell is very familiar. Sherry made my favorite, chicken sandwiches. I feel awful, because as soon as I take a bite and try to swallow, I get sick. My stomach is in a different country it feels like. I don't even feel like I can drink anything.

"Gosh, Wendy I'm so sorry!" Sherry apologizes as she hands me a cold rag.

"No, I'm sorry. I don't know what's wrong I just.."

"Your mom is in critical condition. It's not wonder you can't eat. You have nothing to be sorry for," Sherry tells me. Chelia leans down and rubs my back tenderly.

"Why don't the two of you go upstairs and watch movies? I feel like it's best for you to just be lazy right now, Wendy,"

Chelia nods. "Definitely! Fairyflix just added the new season of Vampire Knight." She smiles, holding my hand. I stand up and follow her upstairs. No matter the situation, I know Chelia will never fail to make me smile.