1. Ellen I

I woke up from my afternoon nap as my room filled up with the sweet tune of A Sky Full of Song by Florence + The Machine.

I got up from my bed and took short tumbling steps to Zach's bedroom. I had been best friends with Zach since my childhood. Last year, I was looking for a place to stay near the diner where Zach and I worked. And Zach was in search of a new roommate since his last one decided to move in with their boyfriend. So, here we were, a year later, living together like an old couple. Minus the cuddling, of course.

Banging loudly on the door, I called out, "Zach! Wake up! Or we'll be late!" I heard a loud thud coming from Zach's room which implied that he had woken up.

As I turned to go to the bathroom that we shared, Zach opened his bedroom door and came out, looking dishevelled.

Zachary was a tall, muscular guy. His pale, white hands were covered with blond hairs, which were almost invisible to the naked eye. He wore a white t-shirt and a dark blue pajama, which brought out the colour of his irises. His eyes were puffy from sleeping for a long time. His blond hair was tousled, which added more to his 'I woke up like this' look.

Rubbing his forehead, which I assumed he might had hurt when he fell down from his bed, he mumbled, "I need to pee. And take a shower."

"Well, hurry up, then!" I gave him a light shove towards the direction of the bathroom.

I moved to the kitchen to take out our dinner. We both had night shifts today and would return quite late from the diner. I took out the two Tupperware containers from the refrigerator which I had already packed while making lunch. I went in Zach's room and put them inside his backpack.

Zach still hadn't left the bathroom so, next, I made my way to my room and took out the blue and white uniform of the diner - the signature look for the waitresses working there. The uniform was quite a contrast to the outfit that I was currently wearing - a pair of black shorts and an olive green tank top. Then, I made my bed and headed towards the bathroom.

Zach was standing outside the bathroom, wrapped in a towel and drying his hair. "Is your forehead alright?" I asked with a concerned look.

"Yeah. No big deal." Zach smiled.

I took a quick shower and put on my faded uniform. After drying my hair, I straightened it and it fell just on my shoulders. I took a long look at the girl staring at me from the mirror, her pale skin amplifying her ghostly appearance. Her brown eyes were hollow, surrounded by big dark circles from nights of staying up too late. I applied ample amount of concealer to hide any signs of insomnia. After applying mascara and a maroon lipstick, the girl in the mirror looked confident, a distant image of my true self.

"You look beautiful." Zach complimented on seeing me.

"Thanks." I smiled.

******************************

The big clock on the wall displayed 10:30 on its face. The diner was almost empty and I was serving only one table who were already having desserts. Zach and I were the only remaining staff. We had the duty of closing the diner today.

When it was 11, the diner was as empty as a false promise. Zach had left the bar to stand beside me at the counter.

Zach looked tired after working hard for so many hours. He looked at me with his ocean blue eyes and smiled. "I wanted to tell you something." His eyes held an untold sense of mystery in them.

"Okay. Go on."

As he was about to say it, he was interrupted by the sound of a car parking in front of the diner. To be clear, it was a black car. Her car.

And out came in the most elegant red dress, Macy.

"Fuck." That is all I could manage to say.

______________________________________

Author's Note

This chapter has been rewritten. I was not happy with the previous version since it did not have a background of El.

Hope you guys like this one better!

Here's a moodboard for Ellen ❤:-

Thanks to tumblr user @fantasy-boards for making this for me 😊