Chapter 9

Verunt walked alone on the lit streets in the dusk, no special destination in mind. He took a deep breath of the blossom scented air and longed for the company the lights in the windows promised. 

I hope my family's doing okay...

Verunt had left his room brightly lit, for he still hadn't figured out how to turn off the hanging crystal. He had been on his way to ask Amber about it a few times, but either forgot about it or felt stupid for not being able to figure it out by himself. And after a few days he wasn't bothered anymore.

There was two things motivating him to be out in the early night. Firstly, finding and thanking the person who had brought him to the city. In doing so he would be able to find the spot where he had fell unconscious, and hopefully even the dagger he had lost.

Verunt hadn't told Amber about his plans because he feared she would try to stop him, or worse; talk him out of doing it. The way she, just like the council, had ignored questions about and from the Seekers reminded him of how the rulers in Procul had treated him and his family. One part of him wanted to form his own opinion about them, while the other part wished to trust Amber.

Verunt had learned from Amber that the man who had brought him to the infirmary had been a young, dark skinned teenager with green eyes, accompanied by a green wolf. There can't be that many who match that description, Verunt thought. I just have to find some people to ask...

That was when he saw three women dressed in grey and black. They seemed part of the shadows as they stood between two street lights powered by yellow crystals. As he came closer he noticed that they all wore a bronze pin in the shape of a hawk and a fish and that one of them had a short orange crystal around her neck. They were the first people he'd seen that evening and he figured they were as likely to know the person he was looking for as any.

"Excuse me," he began. "I'm looking for a young man with dark skin, green eyes and a ... green wolf?"

"Why do you wanna know?" The shortest of the three crossed her arms and gave him a scrutinizing look. When she talked, Verunt recognized her from his hearing. She was the brown haired girl who had spoken without getting any response from the council.

"I've been told he's the one who found me in the forest. I just want to thank him for saving my life. Do you know where I can find him?"

The woman wearing the orange crystal whispered something to the girl. She thought for a moment and than whispered something back.

"I might know where to find him. Follow me." Without further delay she sat off down the street. Verunt quickly followed, not wishing to lose her in the shadows.

"Thank you for helping me, I'm Verunt." He paused. "But I guess you already knew that." He scratched his neck and smiled awkwardly.

"Don't thank me yet, we haven't found him. I'm Thelia."

They walked in silence for a moment as they turned in on another street.

"So, leather feet, have they had enough time to brainwash you yet?" Thelia asked with the same tone commonly used when asking about another's day.

Startled, Verunt looked down at his beloved boots before he had had enough time to comprehend what she'd said. "Brainwash me? Why?"

"Well, for starters, because they don't want anything to change. They like the way things are because they're in charge and can tell everyone else what to do."

"Who are 'they'?" Verunt had to ask.

"The council. They control everything and everyone in this shit-filled cage." Thelia gesticulated wildly with her arms. "I know it isn't possible to leave, but that doesn't make it impossible to find a way. And they aren't even trying! I mean come on, you could enter! So there must be a way to leave." She took a deep breath to calm down. "I just want to see the world..."

<<>>

A/N: Please consider leaving a vote if you like this story. It makes it possible for others to find my work. And btw, thank you for reading this far! <3