Chapter 5

The five council members were casually seated around a round table, discussing preparations for the incoming spring, when three hollow knocks sounded on the thick, oaken door.

"Enter!" Philip called out without lifting his gaze from the papers in front of him.

In walked Amber, still in her white healer robes and with her hair in a messy bun. Everyone turned towards her, except Philip who had to be prodded to look up from the farmers written requests.

"Amber!" he said. "Is everything alright?" Concern flamed up since his daughter only came to visit him at work if she had bad news with her.

Yes, don't worry, she signed in response. Antheia sent me to tell you all that the stranger has woken. His name's Verunt and he still has a fever, but he's getting better by the hour.

Do you think he'll be fit for a hearing tomorrow? he responded. When she nodded he said, turning back to the council members, "I suggest we hold a hearing tomorrow afternoon."

"Why not sooner?" asked an old man grumpily, his grey beard the size of a squirrel. "Why should we wait if we can get answers today?"

"I understand why you expect the worst from this stranger," Philip said. "But he has not given us any reason to assume that of him. Right Amber?"

Slightly startled Amber shook her head.

"I still think we should have a guard who follows him," said a woman with a pointy face and a nose comparable with a bird's beak. "Just to be completely sure he will be at the hearing when it is time and to make sure Egem and his blazing Seekers will not bother him." The rest of the council agreed. But before they had time to appoint one, Amber volunteered. None of them could deny the benefit of having a healer near someone who had nearly frozen to death. And besides, there were plenty of guards in the City that could hold an eye on him from afar.

<<>>

When Amber got back to the infirmary, Verunt had changed into his torn, leather clothes. The sheet-dress had merrily been thrown on the floor where it laid forgotten. 

To be able to explain the situation as swiftly as possible Amber handed Verunt a note filled with neat letters. 

Tomorrow afternoon the council will hold a hearing with you. I've been given the task to look after you until then and make sure you'll be there in time. Before then, you must stay within the City's walls. I'm sorry if this makes you feel trapped, but it's only until the hearing. After it, you will be allowed to visit the farmlands and even the forest if you would want to.

"So you're basically my warden?" Verunt handed back the note and crossed his arms.

Amber used her magic to show Verunt a figure in ragged clothes surrounded by question marks. At first it barely glowed at all, silently running around in her palm with a big knife. The knife turned into a bouquet of flowers and the figure's glow intensified until it shone as brightly as the crystal around her neck, but it was still engulfed in question marks.

Amber saw the hurt accompanied by understanding in Verunt's eyes when he looked back at her. She swore silently in her mind and gestured for Verunt to follow her. He shouldn't have to stay inside on a day like this.

She took a detour to the dressing room on the way out and left wearing a more comfortable, mint colored dress and her hair free over her shoulders. She led the way to the tailors' street in the late morning sunlight, determined to provide Verunt with clothes that wouldn't offend anyone at court. If he was going to be interrogated as any other citizen, he should also look like one.

<<>>

A/N: Please consider giving this a vote if you like it. It makes it possible for others to find my work. As always, let me know if you wan't to exchange constructive criticism. :)