thirty ;

chapter thirty: changes

it's been three weeks since the death of mr. dempsey and i feel so helpless and useless for not being there with zach to comfort him as he grieves. i'm still stuck at our family in new york and mom refused to let me come home, even though it was an emergency between zach and i, and it makes me angier at her even more.

after zach's phone call, he's been acting pretty distant and cold and i understand that he's going through a lot so i decided to give him the space he needs and as much comfort that he wanted. he still made sure to call me to talk and most of the time, he just spends his time crying about the death of his dad and it breaks me.

but lately, i've been noticing some changes with zach. he and i used to talk on the phone for hours and hours on end but now he only stays to the phone call with me for only the maximum time of one or two hours and i understand that our timezones were complete different but he always made sure to fill me in with what's been going on. his replies were sometimes late, which is weird because never makes me wait for his replies and he ALWAYS double-texts me.

there was something definitely going on and i think im going crazy just trying to figure out what it was.

jake watched me with an incredulous frown as i stare sunkenly at my phone screen, waiting for it to light up and his name to pop up in my notifications. "what are you doing?"

"waiting for him to call or even text me, what does it look like to you?" i murmured and he sighed. he drops the game controller and faced me in all seriousness. "want me to beat him up?"

"jesus, no! he just lost his dad, he's going through a lot of things right now. maybe he's just... going through his alone time or something. i don't want to be an annoying girlfriend who nags 24/7." i rambled.

"well, i hope he's not doing something else or should i say, someone else." jake emphasized with an unamused expression, "he better not be or i'll snap his neck if i find out he hurt you."

i look away and continued to stare at my phone screen. i know zach would never do something like that. i know zach's different. he just needs some time to himself.

zach would never cheat on me, i know that for sure. he's not that kind of guy.

hi caller id flashed on my phone and i jumped up from the couch and answered his facetime video call in a one swift motion. "hello?"

his face fills in my phone screen and i grin at the sight of his hair sticking into different directions and his eyes dazed. "hi, baby." he greets sweetly, his voice was rasp and hoarse as if he had just woken up. "i just saw your text messages. i'm sorry i didn't get the chance to answer them, i was asleep."

"oh, you were? did i wake you up?" i ask with concern and he chuckled lightly, the sound of his chortle making my heart swell

"no, it's okay, babe." zach smiled sleepily and winked at me. "i miss you. so damn much."