twenty three ;

chapter twenty three: zach and hannah

i slowly sat up, a groggy and heavy feeling tempting me to go back to sleep if it weren't for the annoying non-stop vibration and ringing of my phone by the bedside table. i answer the caller and croaked out, my throat feeling like a sandpaper. "hello?"

"where the hell are you? i've been trying to call you since this morning. we have a group report for bio, remember? our output is in your bag, and it's 20 minutes before the bell rings for 4th period." sam hissed, the sound of ms. callahgan discussing at the background.

"what? shit, i overslept. i'm sorry, i'll be there in 10."

"you should've thought better than smoking pot with monty in a school night, gabriella." she scolds. "get your ass here as fast as you can."

i got up from the bed and gasped when i realized i wasn't wearing any piece of clothing. i covered myself with my arms which is ridiculous because it doesn't cover anything, events of what happened last night came flooding in and i cussed, mentally beating myself up because what the fuck have i done? i approach monty snoring at the other side of his bed and peeked to check if he was weari any clothes on and turns out, he's not. so something did happen last night.

fuck.

i put on my clothes from yesterday; high-waisted jeans, and instead of wearing my top from yesterday, i decided to wear one of monty's shirts and tied the hem up front. i had to take 5 minutes to put make up and cover the purple hickeys he left all over my neck before i take all of my things scattered all over his bedroom floor, cringing at the bong and bits and pieces of weeds by his desk table. i take monty's keys and thundered down the steps and out of his house, using his car to gun down the highway and the way to liberty. with the speed i was taking, it only took me a few minutes to get there and i enter the double doors just as the second bell rings and i sprint my way to bio. i burst in the door just as mr. lee calls for my group and all heads turn to my direction.

"you're late, ms. emerson." mr lee reprimands, "but since it's your first time, i'll let this pass."

throughout our group report, i could feel zach's gaze upon me and i couldn't bring myself to look at him because i feel ashamed of what went down between montgomery and i last night, feeling as if i was somehow betraying him.

i avoid him as i make my way to math, pretending not to hear him calling out my name. i sit through math dozing off on my palm to which the person sitting infront of me, coleman, intentionally blocking me with his humongous form in order for me to not get caught but eventually did when mr. travis walked between the aisles and saw me, he gave me detention.

wren and i walked together on our way to the cafeteria and i frown when i see zach sitting beside hannah at the table beside ours, the two talking in hushed tones and hannah glaring at zach. the cafeteria were in a stunned silenced when hannah yells at zach to leave him alone and zach stalking outside. i excuse myself from my friends and went to hannah, asking "what was that about?"

she glances at me and turns back to her book, "it was nothing."

"it didn't look nothing to me." i shrug.

she rolls her eyes and hissed, "it's none of your business, gabriella. do you have to stick your nose up in everyone's business all the time?"

i scoff in disbelief, hannah grimacing and started apologizing and i stand up abruptly, sneering down at her. "well, i'm sorry, i was just trying to be a friend since you looked like you need one. have fun being alone."

⇢ ⇢ ⇢

these past few days zach and i have hang out together, he refused to talk about what happened with hannah and i decided to drop it, sensing that it was a touchy subject for him. he's invited me to my house because his mom and sister wouldn't be home until tomorrow morning and he declared that he would enjoy breaking his mother's number one rule which is: to bring girls over.