Chapter Twenty

"I suggest you stop moving."

Rebecca froze at the feminine voice. I whipped around, my arm in front of her again. A woman, almost like an older version of Rebecca, pushed past the bodyguards. She wore a white skirt and jacket, a black blouse underneath the leather. A "beautiful" alligator skin bag was in her grasp. A man followed behind her, guarded by other bodyguards. It was clear that they were crucial to having relations with the men. Parents. People were already screaming and running away from the sudden confrontation, not bothering to jump in or interfere.

"M-Mama.." Rebecca whispered from behind me. "Papa.."

"Rebecca, sweetie!" Her mother said in a sweet voice. I already hate it. "Oh, my poor baby. Are you okay?"

Rebecca's eyes glistened as her mother reached for her. Almost like she wanted to be with them. You hated her, didn't you? I quickly shoved Rebecca away from her mother's prying hands. She seemed to snap awake from the overcoming daze. I took a step back, glaring harshly at the woman. My arm covered Rebecca, her hands grabbing onto it as fear took over her. Fear of being manipulated by her voice.

"Don't touch her."

"Young man," Rebecca's father spoke authoritatively. "Take your hands away from my daughter."

"I don't think a man who barely even talked to his daughter has any right to call her his family," I hissed bitterly. I tossed my head to one of the guards. "Besides, you owe me because of one of your bodyguards pushing me. Half my skin is probably chunked up on the ground."

"A man who barely knows my princess shouldn't even be speaking about family relations," Mrs. Walker said in a petty manner, mocking me.

I twitched. It's almost.. like she knows. Rebecca held me back from attacking her mother. My mother is dead. My sister and father probably forgot about my existence. And you WANT TO GO THAT FAR?! My jaw clenched.

"What the hell do you want?" I said loudly, holding my ground. "You didn't want your daughter before, right? You probably didn't even care about her until you lost her!"

"Young man, if you don't—"

"She's mine now, you bastards!" I exclaimed. Rebecca looked at me, and I could feel the heat of her blush on my back. "You already lost your chance! She's an adult now; she can make her own decisions!"

"I am her father, and as her father, I know what's best for her," Mr. Walker claimed.

My teeth gritted together. "Oh, don't pull that family bullshit card on me," I said in a snarky voice, seething at them. "You never even considered her fucking opinions. In fact, I bet I know more about her than you do!"

Mrs. Walker gasped dramatically, leaning over as a bodyguard caught her. It seemed that she was.. offended? Of course. I bared a glance at the overdramatic performance. Mr. Walker checked on her, and I took this chance to look at Rebecca, seeing if she was alright. She was definitely shaking in her spot, clutching onto me for support. My staring must've caught her attention, because she looked up at me. The teal blinking light told me she was nervous. Her eyes were filled with numbers.

"I'm scared.." she whispered. "What if running away was a mistake...?"

"It's not a mistake," I replied, "I promise. Fate is doing this for some reason."

She still seemed unconvinced, the numbers in her eyes blinking rapidly past each other as tears filled them. Does she know that her eyes have numbers like a computer screen? I wiped away the blood from my neck and kissed her forehead.

"I need you to run," I murmured. "Take off your shoes if you need to. Just run and don't come back until a long time has passed." I grabbed the suitcase with the money and the blue stuffed bunny, pushing them to her. "Take these." I looked at her. "If I get caught, go to my sister and tell her that I wasn't able to make it. You should know what she looks like."

"But she'll assume you're—"

"Go!"

Rebecca hesitantly moved, tears falling from the corners of her eyes and down her face. "Be careful.." she whispered before turning and booking it down the streets, carrying the suitcase to make it easier to run.

"Hey! Where do you think you're going?!" One of the bodyguards yelled.

Sensing the presence to my right, I whipped around, jabbing my elbow into his chest. He was pushed onto the ground, almost crashing into Mrs. Walker. The two parents stood up, suddenly changing as if bipolar.

"Get him, before I kill you both," Mr. Walker barked to the two bodyguards.

The two parents walked off, and I clenched my jaw. Assuming, they probably have weapons in their possession, but not at the moment, or else they would've shot me already. I grabbed my suitcase and hurled it at the bodyguard on the floor, making him spit out blood. The other one ran straight for me, but I responded by moving to the right, making him ram into a building. The two didn't back down and quickly got up to their feet.

Rebecca.

Please be safe.