15

Eloise woke to the sound of snoring and the feeling of someone's warm body flush to her own

Eloise woke to the sound of snoring and the feeling of someone's warm body flush to her own. She was laying there, eyes closed, trying to figure out what could have possibly happened when she remembered.

Charlie had stopped by. He tidied her apartment, cooked her dinner, and stayed to make sure she got a decent night's sleep.

Her eyes fluttered open, clear blue meeting the wrinkled while fabric of Charlie's shirt. She could feel herself flushing pink when she realized his arm was thrown lazily over her waist, and his chin rested on the top of her head. She prayed he wouldn't wake up in that instant.

A strange fluttering in her stomach made her stop worrying about how they had fallen asleep, and instead focus on why it bothered her so much. Yes, he's one of the kindest souls she'd ever met. And yes, he's sickeningly handsome. But why did that make her feel like she was going to hyperventilate?

No.

There's no way.

Eloise hadn't felt like this since her fifth year at Hogwarts, with Lucas Slader. Thankfully she had quickly gotten over him (he asked a third year Ravenclaw to Hogsmeade, even though he knew Eloise liked him). This was exactly the same feeling, but more. This time, she actually knew Charlie, and knew him well. She regularly spent time with the man, not just seeing him as she passed him in the corridor after Potions. He told her about his brother. He took her to Romania. He introduced her to his family.

The shock of the realization caused Eloise to shoot up from her place on the sofa next to Charlie. As Charlie seemed to be hanging onto her almost, the abrupt action sent him toppling backwards off of the cushions, taking the blanket he must've covered them up with along with him.

"Oi!" he groaned, sitting up groggily and rubbing his eyes. She covered her red face with hands, standing up and mumbling that she needed the restroom and hurried into her bedroom and into the little ensuite, locking the door behind her.

She stood at the sink, placing her hands on either side of the basin, looking at her reflection in the mirror.

She wasn't anything special. She was comically short, her eyes much too big for her face, and her wavy hair would never lie just right. Eloise still dressed like a teenager, and obviously didn't know how to take care of herself. Charlie actually had to clean her home for her.

How could he feel the same way if she couldn't even function like a normal witch?

She spun around, forcing her stare away from the fragile looking girl in the mirror and instead leaning up against the toothpaste stained sink.

"It's fine," she whispered, taking a few deep breaths and trying to ease herself out of the panic she had worked herself into. "You're going to be fine. Just act like you normally do."

She brushed her teeth quickly, twisting her messy hair into a low bun at the nape of her neck. She threw on a clean jumper from her closet and changed into her most comfortable pair of jeans, deciding that it would be better just to face Charlie now, before she talked herself out of it.