anchors

. anchors

“Isn't this like the fourth time our paths have crossed?” Laughed Viviane.

Kai narrowed his eyes playfully, “Are you stalking me, Viviane?” Her name rolled out his mouth smoothly like a wave reaching out to the sea. She almost closed her eyes to savour the moment if it weren't for the fact that she would have looked quite odd by doing that. He frowned, “Your name is a mouthful.”

“Not really. But my mother calls me Viva.” She supplied, smiling genuinely.

He blinked. “You have a nice smile.”

“Thank you,” She laughed quietly, “so do you.”

He didn't take notice of her compliment and said in a daze, “You should smile more, I like it.”

Viviane blushed at his words, and looked down when her smiled faltered, “I don't have much of a reason to smile,”

“Let me be the reason.” The words slipped out before he could stop himself, and he internally cringed at them.

It was a few seconds before Viviane stuttered out a 'what?'. “Look, Kai, I'm not – I don't...I-”

“As a friend, let me help you smile.” He said quickly, saving them both from mortification.

She sighed in relief, but then said teasingly, “So we count as friends now?”

“Well if you want to be...” He suggested awkwardly, stuffing his hands in his pockets; the faintest of reds appearing on his cheeks.

“Why not? But I don't know much about you. All I know is you're some kind of delinquent that saved me from drowning.” She said bluntly, looking into his ash coloured eyes with her, once-dull but now with the ghost of life, brown ones.

They would not spark, however, love, life or happiness, and Kai longed to see that.

“Tell me more about you.”

And then began their little talks at the beach at six a.m.

⚓⚓⚓

“And how's your mother now?”

Viviane's happy glow dimmed, and Kai wished he didn't mention such a fragile topic. “She's not getting any better. Doctors say that she has about a month to live.” She gasped, looking at Kai in alarm, and said suddenly, “I'm scared, Kai,”

“Hey, everything is going to be just fine, Viviane.”

“I wish I could believe that.”

“Don't you trust me?”

“We barely know each other.” She whispered, so carefully, hoping that the Sun would forgive her for disturbing it's slumber in the morning.

“I think three months is enough time.”

She smiled sadly, “I trust you, Kai, but I can't trust myself. I can't fall again.”

“I'll be there to catch you, if you'll be there to catch me.”

***

A/N: UNEDITED, sorry for the mistakes. Plus this is short haha xD xoxo :) more on the way :D