in

⚓. in

"So you went to prison, how many times?"

"Five." He clarified, smiling cheekily.

"What for?" Viviane asked, intrigued.

"Smuggling a duck."

Viviane burst into laughter, "Seriously?"

"It was public property, I think that's why I got community service after that," He grimaced, "I also got caught with illegal stuff and a stolen doughnut, which wasn't my fault. I was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. These guys made a run for it and shoved parcels and a jam doughnut in my hand. I think the police thought it was blood."

"Yeah," She uttered sympathetically but tried to keep her laughter in.

"Chucking a shoe at my brother was once classified as attempted murder." He said after a moment's of silence.

The seriousness of the sentence was not enough to stop Viviane from laughing, "How old was your brother?"

"I was 18, he was 21. I didn't mean for it to hit his head." He said defensively.

She continued laughing but he did not mind. Her laugh was angelic to his ears and he loved to see her amused even if it was at his expense.

"I also got arrested at a mall. For running around in just my boxers. It was a dare." He said, raising his hands up in surrender.

Viviane roared with laughter, "You were a right riot."

"And the last one was for accidentally urinating in a public place and on a police officer. But, hey, I was drunk."

By this time Viviane was laughing so much that her face turned red, streaked with tears of laughter. She could not even produce a sound due to how hard she was laughing.

He laughed along at her contagious and charming laughter, and there they were, at six a.m. or so, laughing their heads off at the beach.

When she finally calmed down, she stated, "Those are all stupid reasons to get arrested for."

"Tell that to the cops. They think I'm a lunatic troublemaker, disturber of the neighbourhood."

"I think you're misunderstood." Viviane pointed out.

"Very much so."

"So what's the longest time you've stayed in jail?"

Kai thought about it for a moment, "Six months, for the package thing. Evidence kind of suggested I was innocent and they had eye witnesses. But my fingerprints were still there. Other times I got bailed out, innocent. Not worth their time."

"Edward says that he thinks if you clean up your act, you could get a decent job. What's that supposed to mean?"

There was a pause, and the crashing of the waves got louder and more violent, going further back onto the shore. The two were a safe distance away but were still close to the coast line.

"I attract trouble, sometimes gang trouble. I fight." He struggled with his words, not wanting to scare her away.

"Like street fights?"

"Like underground boxing but possibly less controlled. Illegal ones with good money." He stared at her for her reaction but she only took in a deep breath.

"Please don't get hurt."

He widened his eyes, not expecting anything but anger or disappointment from her, "What?"