found

. found

Kai looked on with a smile.

“Oi, Kai, get your head out of the clouds, and sweep the sand. We've got a busy day ahead.”

“Okay, boss.” Kai said with a resigned sigh.

“Look kid, they didn't release you just to waste your days. They wanted to see if you were capable of acting like a smart young man that I know you are.” His boss, Edward, said. Edward was a relatively built man in his fifties who looked threatening, which he was usually, but you could tell that young Kai had captured his attention. “I reckon you've got real great potential. You remind me of my son. Troublemaker but clever.”

“What happened to him?”

“He got kidnapped, never saw him again.” Edward shrugged like it was nothing, but in the five weeks that Kai had been working for him, he could tell Edward was not one to show his feelings and he could have easily mistaken Edward as a careless father if it weren't for the quivering of his lips. He shook his head as if he woke up from a trance, “Anyway, kid, get to work. It may be six a.m. but the tide is high. Time and tide waits for no man.”

Kai wearily collected the rake and as he ploughed through the sand, he looked up at where he saw Viviane last night. Like a fire dancing around wood, the memory of her bitter smile played in his head.

For some aching reason, he wanted to see her again. No, he needed to see her again. He wanted to turn that bitter smile into a sweet smile. He wanted to be the anchor to her fearful soul. He wanted to be her hope.

He wanted to be there for her.

But there was no way of knowing if they would meet again.

⚓⚓⚓

“Are you sure?” Viviane frowned, worry etched onto her face like a mother worried for her child's safety.

“Oh gosh, Viva, sometimes I wonder if you're the mother and I'm your daughter. Yes, I'll be fine. It's only for an hour or so.” Her mother laughed warmly, applying a dark red lipstick. “Besides, Sean will pick me up and drop me off.”

“You've been going out with Sean a lot lately.” Viviane commented, raising an eyebrow.

“You need to get a boyfriend, then you'll see.” Her mother retorted, a small smile playing on her lips. “Sean is a better lover than your father was.”

“It's okay, Mama.”

“It will be.” Her mother corrected, before squinting at the digital clock above her oven. “Anyway, Viva, your dinner is in the oven. Make sure to turn it off so you don't burn anything down. And, Viva?”

“Hmm?”

“Relax, okay?”

“Sure. I can relax.” Her mother shot her disbelieving look, and Viviane put her hands up in a surrender motion. “I'll try to, okay? No promises.”

Her mother's look softened as she repeated, “No promises.”

Fifteen minutes and ten hugs later, Viviane was left alone in the apartment she and her mother called home. It was a Saturday, so Viviane could relax. 'Could' being the key word that Viviane disregarded. Except her mind did not want to. Instead she felt her mind fill up with solicitude and cautious concern. It had only been a half of an hour, but she turned the oven off early and checked the house for any open windows or appliances that weren't turned off. After her nervous pacing, she realised that she could not relax. So she decided to go to the place where she could put her guard down. Ironically, even after the near-drowning incident, she felt relaxed. It was a calm, serene effect the water had on her and she felt hypnotised.