chapter 4

I walked into school and met my friends in the library.

"There you are!" Sage yelled.

"How come you're so late?" Peyton asked.

"And whose car did you come out of? Cause that sure wasn't your brother's." Kathryn said.

"Oh, um.. those were just some friends." I said nervously.

"Friends? I thought we were your friends." Sage said.

"Obviously you guys are. I just met them yesterday." I said.

"You met them yesterday and you're already riding to school with them? And I saw you leave with them after school yesterday." Kathryn said.

"Greaser boys." Peyton said.

"Greasers!?" Sage yelled.

"Sage, don't yell. And, yeah, they're greasers, but who cares? They're really nice. And the only reason they took me was because my brother left me at the house this morning." I said.

"Whatever." Kathryn said, rolling her eyes. What's her problem?

I went to first period and talked to Johnny and Two-bit the whole time. I honestly couldn't tell you one thing that happened in that class. 

After second period I went to lunch and met up with my friends outside. We always ate outside.

"How was the first half of your day?" Peyton asked everyone.

"Boring." We all said in unison. We finished up lunch and finished up our day.

As I was walking out, Sage ran up behind me.

"Wanna hang out?" She asked.

"Sure!" I said, and she drove us back to her place. She had a pool in her backyard, so I changed into one of her swimsuits and we both went in. After a little while I got out and decided to sunbathe.

"So, who are these greasers you're hanging out with?" Sage asked.

"Don't call them greasers. It's dumb." I said.

"Well, that's what they are. No way around it." She said.

"Whatever. I met a couple of them in my first period class yesterday." I said.

"A couple? So there's more?" Sage asked.

"Yeah. There's seven total." I said.

"Ivy, how would your mother feel about you hanging out with seven boys alone?" 

"She doesn't know."

"I'm sure she doesn't.

"Sage, what are you trying to get at here?" I asked, slightly annoyed.

"I don't want you to change into some..." She began.

"I'm not a whore." I said through my teeth.

"I didn't say you were." She replied.

"You sure as hell implied it." I said, going inside. I changed back into my clothes and walked home.

I walked into the house and heard my brother making some unusual noises in his room. Turns out he was having sex. Love that.

I went into my room and shut the door. Eventually, I heard the front door open and close. 

I walked into my brother's room.

"Seriously?" I asked.

"Why are you here anyways?" He spat.

"Last time I checked, I live here." I said.

"Don't tell mom or I swear, I'll kill you." Dylan said.

"Maybe I will, maybe I won't." I said bluntly, and turned around to leave.

"I'll tell her you've been hangin' out with those greasers if you do." He shot. My eyes went wide and I turned around.

"What?" I said, trying to act confused.

"You know damn well what I'm talking about. I saw you leave with them after school. And, I saw them drive you to school this morning." He said with a smirk.

"Whatever." I said.

"Don't hang out with them. They're hoods." Dylan said.

"No they are not. They're nice." I said defensively.

"They've already got you wrapped around their finger, huh?" He said with a sarcastic chuckle.

I left his room and plopped down on my bed. 

Why do people care so much about social status? Why can't I just hang out with who I want to hang out with?

The rest of my day went by slowly.

----

I woke up for school the next morning, on time. I went into my bathroom and got ready, and then I changed into my outfit. I walked into the living room and made my breakfast. My brother eventually came out and we drove to school in silence.

I got out of his car and made my way to my locker. Just as I was turning a corner, I tripped.

All of my stuff was now on the ground, including me. I looked up and saw three girls laughing at me. One of them was Cherry Valance, who was the captain of the cheer team. I didn't know who the other two were, but I knew they were on the cheer team too.

I was picking up all of my things when someone knelt next to me. I looked and it was a guy with dark brown curly hair. Clearly a Soc. He picked up some of my things and handed them to me. 

"Thanks." I said, blushing.

"No problem. I'm Randy." He said with a smile.

"Ivy." I said.

"I like that name. I had a dog named Ivy when I was little." He said. 

I laughed. "Thank you."

"I'll catch you later?" Randy asked.

"Sure." I said smiling. 

He walked away and behind him were my three best friends with their mouths wide open.

"Giiiiiiirl!" Sage yelled. They all ran over to me.

"What happened?" Peyton asked.

"Cherry tripped me when I was trying to get to my locker." I explained.

"Can you guys trip me? I need a boyfriend, stat." Kathryn said, and we all laughed.

"He's not my boyfriend. We just met." I said.

"Oh, but the way he looked at you, Ivy. He was dumbstruck. Looked like a deer in the headlights." Sage said.

"So did you." Peyton said, laughing.

"Whatever." I said sarcastically rolling my eyes.

The rest of my day went by extremely slowly. My classes were incredibly boring. At the end of the day I went to my locker to put some of my things away. Someone tapped on my shoulder.

"Hi Randy." I said with a smile.

"Hey Ivy. Say, do you wanna grab a coffee or something?" Randy asked.

"Sure." I said, still smiling.

We walked out of the school and into his car.