Finally

Steve couldn't help the wave of anxiety that washed over him when the elevator doors slid open and he found that Tony was still in his workshop in blackout mode. He knocked on the glass and tried his entry code which was promptly denied.

He didn't bother trying the master override code. He'd tried all three of his passcodes the last nine times he'd been down in the past hour.

With a sigh he turned leaning against the cool glass and tipping his head back to look at the white ceiling tiles. With a slow and steady exhale he slid down the glass to sit on the floor with his knees pulled up to his chest.

At this point Steve was debating between using the emergency Avenger override code to trip the alarms and just plain smashing through the glass. Their three year anniversary is tomorrow and Steve hadn't seen his beautiful boyfriend in almost a week. Pain swelled in his chest and he heaved a gasp to rid the tension. He slid a hand across his chest feeling his heart palpitating underneath his palm.

"Captain Rogers, the other Avengers upstairs require your assistance," The AI's crisp voice came across the intercom almost startling Steve.

"Thanks Jarvis," Steve responded politely, "Tell them to give me a minute," Steve grit out knocking on the opaque glass again and calling out to the man on the other side. He tried to keep the pain out of his voice but he knew it bled through when his voice breaks.

"I'm afraid they are insisting your presence immediately. Something important has come up." Jarvis sounded apologetic as Steve straightened and headed back to the elevator.

He wondered briefly if Tony was mad at him. Sure, they'd had their quarrels over the past couple of years but it had never been anything a little sparring or sex couldn't fix. He'd never gone a week without seeing the small brunet and the thought made a sharp pang of loneliness echo through his chest.

Tony had been fine before he went into surgery to remove the shrapnel from his chest a week ago. He had given Steve a thumbs up before they gassed him and removed every piece of metal inching toward his heart. It had been hard patching up the gaping hole where Tony's sternum had been but the surgeons had managed using a modified version of Extremis that Tony himself had coded.

Steve had smiled when Tony came to the next morning and they had kissed passionately until a nurse shooed Steve out to run a couple of tests.

And that was the last time Steve saw him.

As the elevator doors opened to the living room Clint and Natasha looked up from where they were sitting on the couch with Thor and Bruce. Natasha was curled into Clint's lap as he whispered into her hair keeping his eyes on Steve. Their close proximity drove Steve to yearn for his boyfriend and he stopped in his tracks, longing hitting him square in the chest.

"Hey Cap, we're doing movie night, it's your turn to choose." Clint shot him a smile spinning an arrow between his fingers. The other hand was wrapped around Natasha's waist and she passed him an encouraging smile.

"You summoned me up here for movie night?" Steve's brows furrowed and Natasha glanced at Bruce. Steve missed the look that was exchanged between the two but he knew it concerned him when they both turn to him with matching smiles of pity.

"No Steve," the scientist scooted over patting the seat beside him, "we know you've been having a hard time since Tony's surgery and we wanted to take your mind off it." Bruce held the StarkPad with the movie choices out to him. "We can watch Boss Baby, or Moana," he offered helpfully pointing at the selections on the screen.

Steve sank into the couch. He couldn't imagine watching a movie without Tony's hilarious commentary to accompany it. He couldn't sit on this couch, where he first told Tony he loved him, without being reminded of the loss he feels. "Tony hates these movies," Steve whispered brokenly as he flipped through the cartoons.