Redemption

~*Flashback*~

"Billy..." Holtz said loudly to get his attention, when he didn't even acknowledge her she shouted "Billy!"

"What?!" he challenged back, getting up close to her face with a look of rage in his eyes.

If Holtz hadn't been an expert in her field she may well have been intimidated by him, but she recognized what he was doing, he was trying to push her away, trying to protect her from himself. She decided to confront him head on, she knew him well enough to understand his personality and his way of thinking. "Why are you trying to push me away?" she asked him.

"What the fuck are you talking out?" he spat back, "don't try that psychology bullshit on me."

"Billy, I can't help what I am" she told him calmly, "but just talking to me doesn't count as psychology bullshit, does it?"

He eyed her for a moment before finishing his drink and getting unsteadily to his feet. He gave her a last look, conflicted if Holtz read him right, and without saying anything walked out of the bar. She sighed and grabbed her coat, following him outside into the chilly night air and saw him stumbling to his car.

"Billy, give me your keys" she said as she caught up with him.

"Leave me alone!" he snarled, trying to keep hold of his keys as she wrestled them from his hands.

"No, let me help you."

"No."

"Please Billy, I care about you."

He paused, clearly in two minds about what to do, "NO!" he finally yelled back, pushing her to the floor in the process.

She was surprised but not hurt. Looking up at Billy she could see the immediate remorse and regret in his eyes. "I...I'm sorry" he stuttered out, the trembling in his voice betraying how upset he truly was.

Getting to her feet, she cupped his face and made him look at her "give me your keys" she said calmly, "I'm going to take care of you tonight."

He gave a small nod and handed over his keys with no hesitation. As Holtz drove he gazed out the window at the passing woods, for the first time in years glad that someone was taking charge, taking care of him, putting him and his feelings first. For the first time in years he felt appreciated, like he actually meant something to someone.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

About 40 minutes later they pulled up to a small, but smart looking house which was pretty secluded from the road. Holtz parked in the driveway and rummaged about in her bag for the keys before turning to Billy, "come on" she said, putting her hand on his and rubbing his knuckles gently. He flinched at first, as if the tender touch burned, but he soon recognized the sincerity in it and nodded at her words.

He followed her inside looking around in interest. It was pretty minimalist, sleek and modern, but his eyes lit up when he spied her top of the range hi-fi stack. "Oh my god, this is awesome" he stated, rushing over to check it out.

Holtz laughed at his boyish enthusiasm, "pick a CD if you like" she suggested, still smiling.

"Awesome" he mumbled while looking through her collection. A few minutes later her held up a case triumphantly, "oh my god, I can't believe you have this!" he exclaimed.

She looked over interested to see what had got him so excited and find he was holding up Nirvana, Bleach. She smiled, "bet you thought I was into some rock ballad crap, right?"

He nodded, pulling a mock annoyed face.

"What?" she asked him.

"Pfft, its not fair to use your mind-reading skills on me" he said half-seriously, thinking back to the bar.