Clandestine

"Any news, Hop?" asked the tired looking woman in front on him.

He sighed and rubbed his beard before reaching over for another swig of his now cold coffee. "Nothing" he declared gruffly, shaking his head slightly.

Karen visibly slumped in front of him as Nancy grabbed her hand for comfort. "Its ok mom, he'll find them, I know it" she said confidently. She did truly believe in Hop, she knew more than Karen what had happened all those years ago, what Hop had done in order to find Will.

"Anything you need, Hop, you just have to ask" Joyce chimed in. She and Karen had become very close since the day they'd both found out about their kids love lives and gotten drunk together, and she had been supporting Karen ever since El's disappearance.

"How's Max's mom holding out? I haven't seen her much" Hopper confessed, trying to change the subject.

Karen gulped guiltily, "I don't know" she finally answered, shaking her head sadly, "she hasn't spoken to me since Max came to stay with us, and..." she looked over at Joyce, "...and I know she blames me and Ted for her disappearance, we weren't there..." she trailed off into silence.

Hopper looked at the 3 women in front of him, all tired, losing hope, relying on him, and he felt the great sense of responsibility he'd always felt for El weighing heavily on him. However, he just didn't know what else to do. Her room was spotless. He knew it was actually too spotless, little things alerting him, but there weren't any clues to follow that up with. He knew the note was fake, but the writing was, to all intents and purposes, El's. He knew that they wouldn't have run away, no matter what they were facing, he knew it. Deep inside he knew they were braver than anyone he'd ever met, especially when together, they brought out the best in each other and they would face things head on together. He also knew that he couldn't involve any other outside agencies, they would take one look at the evidence and firmly label them runaways, a low priority given the fact that they were technically adults, both being over 18.

"It's been almost 5 weeks, surely the longer it takes..." Karen trailed off at the end, not wanting to voice her worst fears.

"What about..." Nancy started, "what about the lab?" she asked what everyone had been afraid to say.

Hop shook his head at a loss of what to say. Finally, he came out with "I can't even get in the gates any more or arrange a meeting with anyone" he admitted, "as far as the lab goes, I'm stuck."

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

Little did Chief Hopper know how his luck was about to change. As the 3 women left the station a furtive figure watched from afar, ensuring he wouldn't be seen. When he was satisfied the coast was clear he made his way across the empty street, hesitated as he reached for the door, but then resolutely went through it.

He walked straight past Flo at reception who called after him to stop. The other deputies were all out so only Hop heard her raised voice from his office. Rising to his feet, he rounded his desk only to be confronted by a determined yet incredibly nervous face.

"I need to speak to you...in private" he said, looking around at Flo who'd followed him in with an exasperated expression on her face.

Hop was taken aback but nodded 'yes' nonetheless. "It's ok, Flo, hold my calls" he added. When he was sure she'd gone he walked back to his chair and sat down wearily, nodding towards the chair on the other side of his desk for his visitor. "To what do I owe the pleasure?" he asked dryly.

"I...I have information for you" he answered, swallowing hard as if the words were difficult to get out.

Hopper raised his eyebrows and tapped a cigarette from its packet. Putting it to his lips he examined the person on the other side and decided to offer him one too, maybe it'd help steady his obvious nerves. They both lit up and inhaled deeply, filling his office with the satisfying smoke they exhaled. "Information about what?" Hopper finally asked.

"Two missing girls" he replied seriously, not once looking away from Hopper's gaze.

Hopper immediately sat up straighter in his chair, "and who might you be talking about?" he asked, a threatening undertone creeping into his voice.

The visitor finally looked away, his eyes travelling around the room as if looking for help, finally he said "El Wheeler and Max Mayfield."

Hopper sat back and took a deep drag from his cigarette, sucking it over halfway down in one go, "and what would you know about that?" His voice was now positively dangerous.

The visitor started jiggling his knee up and down, "I...work at the lab, I've seen them there, I, um, saw some...things that happened" he said, his voice wavering considerably.

Frowning at the unexpected turn of events unfolding in front of him, Hopper softened his stance and his voice, "did you have anything to do with their disappearance?"

His head lowered in shame as he nodded 'yes', "I...I didn't know what they had planned, I didn't understand what they were going to do to them, I...I'm sorry" he finished, breaking down there and then into uncontrollable sobs.

Hopper didn't know what to say or do.

"I want to help you get them back, I'll do whatever it takes...what ever it takes" he reiterated strongly through his tears and guilt.

Hopper nodded thoughtfully, "do you have a plan?"

"No, not yet, but there is someone else on the inside who wants to help too" he replied. He knew Hopper was going to ask who so cut him off straight away, "they work at the lab and have become...disillusioned with their work" he explained carefully, "but we think its best that they stay anonymous for now. I don't know what's going to happen, but the fewer people that know who's involved, the better...for everyone's safety."

"Ok" Hopper agreed, understanding his point of view, "so what's the next move?"

"We're trying to find the right opportunity. Right now, I'm focused on identifying and memorizing every guard's name, schedule, and routine. My partner is working on the scientist side of things."

Hopper nodded his approval at their approach, "when will you update me next?"

"Not for another few days or so" he replied, making Hopper close his eyes tight and sigh loudly. "Look, I've taken a massive risk here, I don't even want to think about what Brenner would do if he caught me, or even suspected me of anything!"

"I know, I know" Hopper assured him, "it's just they've been missing so long already. Their parents..."

"You think I don't know that!?" he challenged, "but you can't tell them, or even let on that you have heard anything about them and the lab" he almost pleaded, "if this is to work, as few people as possible have to know, it has to be kept quiet else we haven't got a fucking chance" he finished earnestly.

For a few minutes Hopper contemplated what was being said and finally nodded his agreement, "when you're ready, send me a sign, no phones though!" he warned strongly.

"I know. I'll be in touch." With that, Hopper watched the man take his leave and disappear into the shadows, despite his misgivings a spark of hope had been ignited, one which he wouldn't let go of no matter what. They were alive and they were safe, for now, and that's all that mattered.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*