Chapter Twenty-Two

The autumn wind blew strongly through Dome Erba that morning and lent a frosty chill to the air. Alessandro added a hooded cloak over his robe as he went out the door to once again attend to his business as a healer.

The dome's daylight pulsed unevenly and long streaks of white crossed the blue ceiling. The trees in the city were barren sculptures reaching up in supplication for the return of their canopies. It would not be long before the dome slipped completely into its winter season, and snow would fall.

The coming summer in Dome Biblia had not comforted Paola against the cold loss of Gemma. She also had to accept the departure of Miacarabella as a mystery that might never be solved, unless her dream had indeed revealed the true whereabouts of the cat. Did the cat live and play on the grassy valley of Dome Pasture in the company of others of her kind and equinii?

She missed the feline. If her dream were but a dream, had someone destroyed Miacarabella? Was it the cloaked woman she had seen? Or had Annunciata hidden her in a place of safety? There was only one certainty: evil was ascendant. The darker scenarios she imagined were the more likely ones.

With her mind still turning over questions that had no answers, Paola left the dwelling. Even the casual greetings of other equinii going about their business did nothing to lift her spirits. She stood before the spice merchant's house, a three story structure situated behind an intricate iron gate. When she had visited with Alessandro, they had entered the compound without announcing themselves, for Giovanni had expected them. This time, she rang the bell on the pole. From a small rectangular shed behind the gate, a boy appeared.

"Have you been summoned?" he asked. He wore the livery of the house. That his trousers and long tunic were royal blue announced the merchant's wealth, for the depth of that color was difficult to achieve. The silver piping only emphasized the richness of the finely woven cloth. A stitched sage blossom glinted against his chest.

Although young, he already had the tone of a master. Paola bowed. "I am EQ-YFI1-WP-Palo-9, also know as Paola. Please announce me to your Master," she said formally, making sure to emphasize the last word.

The boy blushed a dark red at her brazenness. He gave a toss of his blonde head, his green eyes flashing anger, but he held back the fury that threatened to spill from his tongue. "A moment," he said through gritted teeth, and he went into the main house.

*****

"Stay as long as you wish to stay, little equina," Giovanni said. He wore a matching cloak over his dark blue robe, which was belted with a silver chain. "I am going out to a meeting of the merchants, and I won't be back before the evening." He pointed to a slender metal bell set on a low side table next to the bed. Despite her impassioned advice, Cappello still reclined there. "If you need anything just ring for my servant, and Michaelangelo will assist you."

The blonde boy grimaced at the mention of his name. Had he also expressed his displeasure at his status?

"I expect no other visitors today, so I have asked him to sit just outside the door while you keep Cappello company."

Someone who had taken the needs of her kind into consideration was a rare person. "Thank you, Master Giovanni. I will make no requests of this boy. As you have said, I just want to sit for a time with Cappello. This way, he will know that he is not alone. Let the boy attend to his regular duties."

Giovanni arched a dark eyebrow. "That was well said, little equina." He turned toward his servant. "You may go back out to your post, Michaelangelo."

The boy frowned, and he shot her a withering glance. It was more comfortable in Cappello's room, which had a strong blaze going in the fireplace, than outside in the shed.