Chapter Ten

There was no barrier of foliage and thorns to keep humans from the dome's edge. Paola set the cat down. Miacarabella remained by her feet and folded her paws under herself. The feline's collar had lost its light. Paola wondered if the little animal was as fatigued as she was from their race.

She glanced up at the ceiling. It had the familiar sweep of blue and white. Across its surface slid a disc of yellow. It cast its radiance and heat across the land, which was green and moist with the humid air of a summer's afternoon.

Unlike Dome Biblia, low rolling hills stretched before them with no buildings in sight. Their ears pricked, a faint chiming catching the attention of them both. Was it the sound of bells? The cat narrowed her eyes in curiosity, but kept to her relaxed position.

From here, she could learn nothing. Paola picked up the feline, which gave a meow of protest, but did not resist.

The equina headed toward the sound.

*****

The beasts before her had heads that vaguely resembled the dome's symbol in the shape of their long muzzles and curving horns. They grazed upon the long grass and took little notice of them. Blocky brass bells hung from leather collars around the necks of several of the animals. The bits of metal bumped against their squat bodies, which were covered with thick, curly hair, and rang sweetly with each movement.

A light breeze picked up and reduced the stifling heat. A call of greeting suddenly echoed off the hills. From the intonations, it was clear that a human had made this sound, but it was another language that the equina did not know.

A human finally appeared. The man was taller than she, but not by much. He carried a rough-hewn staff, which he held against his chest as if for protection. He halted before her and the cat. Under the brim of his simple straw hat, his brown eyes went wide with amazement. His russet tunic and trousers were damp with sweat, and his tan skin flushed with the heat.

Had he never seen an equina before? "The town?" she asked, politely.

The man backed up a few steps. He spoke again in words she did not understand. He looked around furtively; then, he furrowed his brow. He had reached some decision. He began to walk away, but he beckoned for her to follow.

Paola Equina obeyed.

*****

They had reached the end of the worn path in a valley. Before the equina and her feline companion was a gathering of round tents made of bright fabrics of red, green and gold. As they entered the encampment, the man called out. Other humans emerged from the shelters and surrounded them.

A collective cry went up. Paola clutched the cat closer to her chest. Tired of being held, the cat pushed off the equina and scraped her pouch.

Paola shouted in alarm at the damage done to her bag by the feline's claws. Miacarabella took no mind of her and walked out of the circle. She jumped upon a flat stone and settled herself.

Another woman suddenly emerged from a tent. People bowed to her as she entered the circle. Her white hair was so long that it trailed down her back until it reached her ankles. She was taller than anyone else in the gathering. She wore a loose blue tunic that covered a green skirt. A braided rope belt encircled her waist. But it was what was attached to her corded necklace that drew Paola's attention. Never had she seen anything that matched the design on her kirtle, yet here they were. "Wings!" she said with excitement.

The woman laughed. Despite the color of her hair, her face was youthful and unlined, a dark brown oval set with a wide nose, full lips and round hazel eyes. "Not wings, but feathers, and many feathers make up a wing, as is on your kirtle. How can you not know such a thing as every child knows?"