Chapter Two

The equina's gem flashed a warning. A block of glowing blue stone carved into the shape of a book seemed to float in the inky distance before her. The equina dashed toward the symbol at full speed. Before a seemingly imminent collision with the wall, she jumped the opening that appeared. Her gem gave three short flashes of blue to signal that she had reached Dome Biblia. Outside of the Maze, the radiance surrounding her body dissipated quickly as she came to a halt. The internal shift had restored her form to a humanoid one suitable for mingling with people in the dome.

 "I will make sure you are fined!" a middle-aged woman shrieked, her deep brown eyes glaring at the equina. Her fair skin flushed with her fury, guaranteeing that she would do as she claimed.

The equina snorted with surprise. The barrier of thorny shrubs was meant to keep humans away from the dome's edge and prevent collisions with emerging equinii. The human sprawled on a clump of yellow flowers, which had stubbornly invaded the rocky ground from a lush field beyond the barrier.

 A girl helped her to her feet. "Look. It is only a little equina, Mother. Maybe, she does not have much experience. She looks very young. Forgive her," she pleaded on her behalf.

 The woman brushed the dirt from her drab skirt and pulled off a stray petal that had clung to her dull brown braid. She carelessly flung bits of soil and moss, which landed on and stained her daughter's linen trousers. Straightening, she clapped her hands three times and spoke loudly in the Old Language, a tongue known by few people.

The equina winced, the words sounding harsh and threatening compared to the melodious tongue spoken in daily life. Why the words were considered old, she had yet to learn.

The equina's gem flashed red in response to the sound; it had accepted the complaint. The punishment was undeserved as the two humans were clearly at fault by ignoring and passing beyond the warning signs. But to object would only cause her more difficulty. The equina bowed. "My apologies, my lady," she said with forced calm. She waited for the woman to grant her leave to go, seething at the injustice, but helpless to do anything about it. Because of the time she had lost in the Maze, she had followed the fastest route to her destination. However, that Run had entered the dome at the portal farthest from her delivery point. She had already lost currency points for inaccuracy. The time to reach the Library before forfeiting all payment due to lateness was quickly dwindling.

The woman deliberately held her permission. "Go!" she finally commanded.

The equina raised her head. She would not reach the Library in time. The woman sneered, but the equina held her gaze with the truth until her triumph faded.

"That should keep you out of our town for good, you menace. Be thankful we do not boil you and use you for glue for our books!" the woman declared. "Come, Justyna," she said to her daughter, before turning and walking away.

 The girl lingered. She shared the woman's coloring and sharp features, but her eyes were a pale blue, which now darkened with sadness. "I am sorry," she whispered, before turning to follow her mother in obedience.

 It had not been the first time that the equina had reached her destination, only to have her payment docked or denied. She ran her long fingers through her fine white forelock, too tired to worry further.

 She looked toward the massive stone building that was the heart of the town. The yellow orb suspended above that edifice, which illuminated the interconnected circles of homes, had begun to dim. The dome would soon slip into its night period.

 Maybe, someone she knew would be in the stable tonight. A shiver ran down her back. Unless she did not have enough currency for lodging. The equina took a deep breath and headed toward the Library.