Paranormal Witness

Becca relished the walk-around, being away from Maria's judging eyes and the creep factor Alan emitted. Kev was making her laugh, touching her a bit more than she liked, but otherwise being a good executive producer. She made note of all the focal points for the investigation, tonight was the main assembly hall, and took several still shots for the series' promotional material. The highlight was climbing up the old oak tree in the corner of the back schoolyard, one brilliant still showing the true beauty of the old school building and it's modern additions and two reasonably good shots of the church looking up through the gravestones. It was a shame that some of the images had come out blurry, but it's hard to take pictures sitting on a branch that can only just support one's bodyweight.

Less than an hour later she was considerably less comfortable. Her hair had been pulled back into a high ponytail that was sure to give her a headache before the interviews were finished. The layer of makeup had started to suffocate her skin, two shades darker than her natural tone, but still the lightest foundation Emily the make-up girl had to hand. It gave her an unnatural orange tone, too warm for her pale blue eyes, she shook her head at the thought of it under the harsh green glow of the atmosphere lamps set up in the classroom they were using for the interviews.

The last interview was the worst, already trying to work around an intensifying headache that the green glow and low light were making worse, this witness had been the most reluctant to actually sit down and tell her story. Becca would have given anything to be able to sneak away and loosen the ponytail, but Maria was too hawk-eyed to allow her the chance.

Twice the woman had had minor panic attacks and needed to leave the room, the second bringing her to tears severe enough to warrant another 15 minutes redoing her make-up. By the time she sat down for the third time Becca's camera felt like it had gained weight, as though someone had replaced the batteries with pure lead. It took an unnatural effort to swing it up on her shoulder. Even more to keep it steady as she waited for the signal.

"Are we good to go?" Maria asked, her compassionate tone not reaching the impatience in her eyes.

"Ready?" Kev whispered in Becca's ear, causing her sweaty hands to slip on the camera.

"Places people!" Maria clapped her hands and took her seat out of shot.

Becca hit record early, better to have more footage to trim than have to do a second shot with the reluctant witness. She took that extra time to settle the frame, to focus her breathing and hold steady.

"Please state your name and how long you have been involved with this building," Maria commanded.

The woman took two sharp intakes of breath, "My name is Mary Smith, I've lived in the village for just over six years." She steadied herself, blinking back stray tears. "I saw the sorry state this building was in, and it called me to it, I had to help save it."

"Do you believe that the building is haunted?" Maria said with disinterest. She was scribbling notes, and doodles, on a small notepad resting on her knee.

"Undoubtedly. This building is over a hundred years old, thousands of children have spent years of their lives in these walls."

"Where is the most haunted location?"

"There are two places I would not go alone, the headmaster's room and reception class. The assembly hall isn't much better, but as long as you respect the building you should be okay." Panic touched her voice, her words coming at an increasing pace.

"Have you ever seen anything unexplained?" Maria cut in before Mary had a chance to explain her answer.

"The Headmaster." Mary swallowed and shifted in her seat. She looked about ready to bolt, the muscles in her legs tightened in preparation. Her attention caught on Maria's questioning look and gesture to expand on her answer. "That's what we all call him. He's the most active here. You'll hear footsteps up or down the corridor, the headmaster's door slams closed without a breeze, objects move around the building or are thrown at you." She found a spark of confidence, "It sounds harmless enough, but he caused serious injury to the last group of paranormal investigators we allowed in here."