A Warning

Sun watched quietly as Princess Adel dashed a spoon full of sugar into her cup of tea. The china was a fine, delicate set made of porcelain, and its floral pattern had been painted specifically to Adel's liking. It wasn't often when she'd bring the set out for guests, but today, she wanted to impress.

"Julian Boyardo painted the set," Adel mused, taking a sip of her tea. "Do you know him?"

"I've heard of him," Sun said, holding a warm cup in hand. Smoke from the tea rose into the air, the scent of spices dancing around her nostrils as she continued eying Adel.

"He is the most talented painter in Noch, but his work is even more famous than he. When my mother died, he painted me this tea set and called it, 'Daughter of the flower'."

"Tulips, your mother's favorite."

Adel raised a single brow, looking more like Crow than ever before. "Impressive. Father must've told you. I've been meaning to talk to you about him."

"You're father?" Sun took a sip of her tea. It tasted divine.

"Particularly about your visit to the garden," Adel explained, lifting a cookie to her mouth. She nibbled ever so delicately before returning the cookie to her plate. "Father only visits the garden when he's thinking about the future...or should I say his children's future. I'm curious to know why he'd take you."

"Well," Sun smiled, politely. She still wasn't very sure about the princess and wanted to tread waters carefully. "He wanted to gift me with a single tulip."

"Surely there's more to the story," Adel encouraged, placing a gloved hand on the table. "Don't hold out on me. It's been so long since I gossiped with a girl my own age. What is a tea party without entertainment? Besides, I'm sure I could offer you pointers on how to deal with father. He's always up to something."

"Well, he suggested I consider Prince Christian as a companion." Sun studied the smile on Adel's face and how she seemed to be struggling to keep it plastered there.

"Did he? And, how do you feel about it?"

"I've only just arrived at the castle, and honestly, my arrival was against my will. I didn't ask to be a countess, and I'm certainly not asking to be a future queen. His suggestion was very overwhelming."

"It bet it was overwhelming. I can only imagine how I'd feel if someone suggested I entertain the prince when I'm more attracted to his brother."

Sun almost spit out her tea as she took in Adel's mischievous grin. "Pardon?"

"Oh come on, we can be honest with each other, can't we? I saw the two of you on the dance floor under the castle. I saw the connection with my own eyes." Adel shook her head as she smiled. "I never thought I'd ever see Crow so affected by a girl. Once he had you, he wouldn't let you go. He would've waged a war right then and there, had I taken you from him."

"We were both intoxicated," Sun explained, her cheeks flushing a bright red. She could no longer meet Adel's eyes.

"A drunk's truth speaks the loudest. Have you heard the saying?" Adel asked. "Don't be ashamed. If you asked me, I'd tell you to ignore my father's suggestions and follow your heart. Being a queen is a lifestyle a girl like you should never be subjected to."

"Why do you care so much?" Sun asked.

"Us girls must stick together. Its really the reason why I invited you to tea." Adel took another sip. "Who will look out for us if not ourselves? If you can trust anyone in this castle, it would be me. Remember that."

"I'll be sure to," Sun smiled, although the gesture didn't reach her lips.

"There is also another reason I invited you. I wanted to offer my trust but also a warning. You see, Crow has a heart of stone, but it's how he protects himself from our father's demands. Deep down, he's desperate for love and I don't blame him