Chapter 1

I didn't know what to expect when I came back to Shiganshina. I guess I expected everything to be how I left it: a sleepy, small town without many happenings. I didn't know what I was expecting when I walked inside Petra's house. Maybe a greeting? Maybe a hug? I had just gotten back from my business overseas and I wanted to surprise her. We had been trying to keep a long-distance relationship and I thought we had done a good job. I knew most long-distance relationships never worked out, but I had thought that we had proven everybody wrong. But boy, was I wrong. I had knocked on the door and waited for someone to answer it once I arrived. I had come straight from the airport, and I was tired and just wanted to see my girlfriend. When nobody answered I tried opening the door. I knew she was home; she had to be, her car was in the driveway. The door was unlocked and I waltzed right in, I used to practically live there. Petra's dad adored me and I was always welcome. The living room had been dark and I could tell that all of the lights had been turned off in the house. I had closed the door behind me softly, as if I was trying not to disturb someone. I could see one faint light from upstairs and I knew it had to be Petra's room. I had walked up the stairs quietly and quickly; I really wanted to surprise her. I had slowly walked down the hallway, aware of the quietness coming from her room. A bad feeling had developed in my stomach; I knew something had to be wrong. I stood outside her door and opened it, not prepared for the sight I would see. Petra was inside the room alright, but she wasn't alone. Petra was kissing one of my good friends; Auruo on the bed. My heart shattered and I knew that I had been deceived. Once Petra noticed I was standing in the doorway, I turned away and ran down the stairs. I didn't want to be there anymore; I didn't want to continue watching the girl I loved and my friend kiss. I heard Petra call my name, but I didn't turn around. I ran out of the house with tears running down my face. I picked up my suitcase from where I had left it on the porch and continued to run. I had instructed the taxi driver to drop me off in front of Petra's house so I didn't have any means of transportation. I didn't know where I was going, I was running with no means of going home. I just had to run to get away; to run away from my anguish. My world had come crumbling down the moment I stepped back inside Shiganshina; I couldn't believe it. This had to be a joke of some sort. I ran and I ran, trying to get rid of the image that would be burned in my memory. I couldn't take it anymore and I collapsed on the sidewalk. Then suddenly music ripped through the night. Music was coming from the cemetery, and for a moment my tears stopped. The music wasn't that hip hop crap or the heavy rock stuff I was used to. It was a song, the melody sounding familiar but I didn't remember where it came from. It was beautiful and I was attracted to the sound. My feet were walking into the cemetery before I could understand what was happening; they moved as if somebody else was controlling them. And now that I think about it, it was as if fate drew me to walk into the cemetery. It was dusk and the sky was a bright pink and orange. I felt like fate was mocking me, making the sky so beautiful despite what had just happened. I walked deeper into the cemetery, my feet leading me to the source of the music. There, against the beautiful sky I saw the person playing the music. The person's back was facing me, and by the haircut I could tell it was a guy. I recognized the instrument the person cradled in between his knees as a cello. What beautiful music it was, but it didn't deserve to be played in a graveyard. It deserved to be played on a stage, where everybody could hear it and praise the person who played it. I wondered why the boy was playing it here when the music suddenly stopped. I noticed the boy get up and I quickly ran from the cemetery before he could notice I was listening. I ran for a while around the neighborhood until I decided to go back to my place. I lived in an apartment complex near the high school I was attending tomorrow. I lived on the second floor and by myself. I fished the key out of my pocket and stuck it in the lock. I had just rented before my parents and I left overseas. I still paid the rent for it because I didn't want to give it up; I knew I was coming back anyways. As soon as I was in I collapsed on my neatly made bed. I turned on my back and put my hands behind my back and tried not to think about Auruo and Petra. Instead I thought about the high school I had to come back to, Shiganshina High. We had left in the middle of my junior year and now I was supposed to be a senior. I remembered that it was the middle of the semester and I had a lot of catching up to do. Shit. A tear simultaneously dripped out of my eye and my mind drifted back to Petra and Auruo. I felt sobs wrack my body and I punched my pillow. I trusted them and they stabbed me in the back. Would this wound ever heal? I should have known long-distance relationships never worked; we should've broken up before I left. I reached over my bed to set the alarm clock on my nightstand to wake me at 7:30 tomorrow morning. I hated waking up early, but I had a lot of shit to do. I had to fish my dusty backpack out of the closet and fill it with the supplies I needed that I bought overseas before I left. I had to go to the office and get my schedule for the year; the secretary's computer is slow as heck so I would probably be there for like 10 minutes waiting for the computer to send the information to the printer. I was too depressed and too lazy to get up and unpack my suitcase for my pajamas. I fell asleep in my clothes, with tears drying on my cheeks.