EIGHTEEN: NO PULSE

Start from the beginning

Steve nodded and the doctor smiled reassuringly before running off to Trauma 2 to get to the medically dead girl.

When he walks in, he sees the nurses setting up the defibrillator while another doctor does chest compressions.

"Get that other IV hooked up stat," he says to a nurse who nods, "shock at charge 100," he shouts, "everyone stand clear."

"Clear!"

The defibrillator went off, shocking Eve's body and making it jerk.

"Still asystole." The doctor said, worry beginning to settle in, but he calmed down slightly, "Continue chest compressions and charge to 360."

"Clear."

Another shock was sent through her body.

"Nothing. Still asystole."

"One last try, C'mon kid you can do it." The doctor prayed silently for the young girl to make it through.

"Clear."

"We've got a pulse."

-

Everyone sat in the waiting room, even Eleven. No one could get hold of her parents and Steve was freaking out in his seat and Max was stressed, everyone was on edge.

A nurse came out, "Uh, Mr Harrington?" She calls. Steve instantly jumped up and walked over to the doctor.

"She's in a very unstable condition, but you and your...." She stops, looking at everyone who was looking at her expectantly, "can go see her," she says politely

Everyone follows the doctor as she walks down the halls and to Eve's room. They walked inside to see the thirteen year old girl attached to several machines with wires everywhere. Her heart beat was slow and her face was pale.

"Oh my god," Steve whispers, walking to the side of her bed and taking her hand. Max turned away, not being able to look and Hopper sighed at the sight of her.

All she ever wanted to do was help.

-

Three hours later and Steve was still sat in Eve's room. El and Hopper were still there, Mike too. Dustin, Lucas and Max had gone home so their parents knew they were okay.

El and Mike were sitting together at a table in the corner of the room, talking about what the other had missed over the year as Hopper slept on another hospital bed in the room.

Steve had fallen asleep with his head on the mattress, next to Eve's hip and his hand in hers, her touch bringing him comfort.

He woke up when he felt a slight squeeze on his hand. His head snapped up as he blinked rapidly, readjusting to the bright light. He looked at his sisters face to see her starting to open her eyes. She groaned quietly as her eyes opened to little slits, too tired to open them all the way. She took her hand out of his and used her bruised and aching arms to lift herself up.

"Eve, thank god," Steve whispered, joyful tears appearing in his eyes as he moved to sit on the mattress. Eve looked up at him, tears gathering in her own eyes.