11 - tesseract blue

A mumble of words started to repeat.

I felt a two hands on my shoulders shake me. My heart was beating out of my chest, making my short breaths, heavenly and fast.

I opened my tightly shut eyes to see Bucky, he was mouthing words over and over, shouting even but all I could hear was a mechanical buzzing sound, something similar to a car engine.

"Y/N?" I finally heard him yell, followed by a large flash of light.

My eyes widened, our location had changed, we were now outside the building, "what's—"

Bucky pulled me into a tight hug.

After maybe twenty seconds he pulled back, his eyes were once again filled with tears but now a smile was spread across his face. "Your tears. They're blue," he said, giving an airy laugh.

"Captain America blue?" I chuckled.

"Tesseract blue," Steve said, making us both turn.

The Tesseract, is a crystalline cube-shaped containment vessel for the Space Stone, one of the six Infinity Stones that predate the universe and possess unlimited energy

The Tesseract, is a crystalline cube-shaped containment vessel for the Space Stone, one of the six Infinity Stones that predate the universe and possess unlimited energy. Basically a lunch box for an all powerful, killing device. When coming into Asgardian hands, it was kept inside Odin's Vault, Loki and Thor's father, but the origin of the tesseract has never been fully discovered.

To try change the subject of my racing thoughts, I turned my eyes towards the two motorbikes just in front of us, one was Steve's favourite from the avengers facility and next to it was mine and Bucky's favourite.

"Just like old times," I said, looking back to Bucky, knowing we'd be sharing.

"Just like old times," he repeated.

Throughout the drive home I couldn't change what was going on in my head. Holding on to Bucky, I embraced him tighter, resting my head against him. 

When we eventually got home, the three of us walked up to the front door. Our reflection against the glass showed the damages done. There was a cut across my nose and my existing scar (from some childhood event), travelling straight through my eyebrow and eye, finishing by my cheek, was now accompanied by a bruise. The bruise that had begun as a mild purple stain had sunk into the socket itself, and so now it had the appearance of a black eye.

We were all covered in ash, and imagined if Steve took off his helmet, there'd be a clear outline of it.

I opened the door first, quickly noticing everyone's eyes looking towards me, then to the other two, then back to me again. Just as a wonderful coincidence everyone was seated in the living room, cancelling my plans of going straight to bed.

My dad slowly walked into the room and started sipping on is beer not noticing us. "So, did anyone find Y/n?" He questioned, worried. After a couple seconds of silence, he finally looked up from his files named 'SUBJECT II' and his beer dropped to the floor.

"What happened to you three?" Rhodey asked after a few more lovely seconds of silence.

"Well..." Steve said.

Throughout the long explanation, and even after the blue stuff, all I could do was think about Bucky. I didn't realise how long I was staring until he locked into my gaze. He gave a sweet smile but my eyes quickly shot away in fear. Even though he'd already kissed me and we'd confessed feelings, him even doing it first, I was still scared.

He said he loved me. But what does that mean? Did he love me platonically? Or was it romantic? Maybe he didn't want to die alone. Die without one last kiss.

"Are you okay Y/n?" Nat said.

"I could use a shower," I replied, giving a weak laugh. "Theres definitely something wrong with me, but I think I can kind of control it." My eyes unconsciously went towards Bucky, his worried eyes not taking his gaze away from me, but it quickly turned into a smile.

He had saved me and I had saved him, physically but maybe mentally too. Maybe he did feel the same.

"We could do some tests," My dad suggested.

I nodded.

Steve and Bucky followed me to possibly clean up too, I felt as though we were the three musketeers. I'd known them both for years, then being the easiest to become friends with in the beginning. We seemed to all share experiences somehow.

When the three of us got into the elevator, I pushed my floor and so did they. Steve was a few below me and Bucky was just above mine.

First Steve got out.

Then I got out, but I felt Bucky's flesh hand on my shoulder. I turned.

"I meant what I said."

"You did...?" I barely got out.

I looked into his piercing blue eyes, then down to his lips, leaning in to him. He kissed me and the world fell away. It was slow and soft, comforting in ways that words could never be. His hand rested below my ear and his thumb caressed my cheek.

We parted, our eyes opening and locking onto each other's.