Chapter 5

"Ah, man, what's with the couples these days, sheesh!" Somewhere, through a thick fog, I heard a voice. Is it a dream? No, it couldn't be. I'm quite concious. So what is it then?

"And in the middle of the day, seriously? Don't they know class is gonna start soon?" Another person responded and soon the sound of footsteps walking away reached my ears.

Hold on, classes? Midday?

And then it struck me.

In a heartbeat, I opened my eyes and stood up, not being able to see or hear anything because of the speed of my motion. You know that feeling you get when you get up from the couch too quickly ant your whole life flashes before your eyes? Bear with me.
Everything went black and my head became dizzy. Trying not to lose balance was hopeless, I figured after trying.
I took a step back, but my foot somehow slipped and my body tensed up as I realized I started falling. Oh boy, here it comes. I squeezed my eyes, naively hoping it would soften the fall, but then.. nothing happened.

By nothing, I don't mean nothing nothing.

I suddenly felt something warm around my waist, and when I was finally able to open my eyes, I saw Sugawara's concerned expression above me.

Those are some reflexes he's got there.

I mean, when I stood up, he wasn't moving, so I thought he was still fast asleep.

"You okay?" Sugawara asked.

All I could manage to say was something like "I-Uh-Yeah," since I came to my senses and my cheeks turned a light shade of pink, Sugawara's hand still on my waist. "What time is it?"

"13:05."

He said these words in shock, as if even he couldn't believe what he saw his watch showing.

"13:05?" I asked, hoping my ears were playing tricks on me.

"13:05."

"Kuso."

~

"One.. more.. hall," I'm not sure what the purpose of these words were - trying to encourage or pity us - while we were running towards our classrom.

"Ye.. ah," Sugawara's voice reached me from behind, I could tell he was panting.

Not that I wasn't.

Forward, now turn left, a few more meters..

"So, you two finally showed up," sensei didn't even take his eyes off the chalkboard as I (a little to forcefully and too quickly) opened the door.

"We are really, really sorry," me and Sugawara said in complete sync and bowed.

"Take your seats."

"Wait, what?" I thought while making my way to the desk since I couldn't believe our teacher let us off the hook so easily. I'm not complaining, though.

"Oh and you two-"

Should've known.

"You've got yourselves a detention."

Great, what's next?

"Psst," I heard someone whisper somewhere around me as I took out the books from my bag. It's a good thing I already had them there since yesterday.

Ah, right, yesterday..

"What were the two of you doing?" The same male voice asked quietly and I was about to turn around and answer when I saw he wasn't talking to me. He was talking to Sugawara.

"Whatever," the silver haired boy beside me said and in a blink of an eye buried his face in his notebook, all flustered.

Oi.

I don't know what he was trying to hide or why he did it, but from the corner of my eye I saw Sugawara's cheeks turn red.

It was kind of.. cute.

~

I don't usually sleep long. I don't like to sleep long. So why then, I was out of it for what, 13, 14 hours?

Lessons are the best place to think at. Especially when you're not the one who the teachers ask to answer. (Except that time I was spacing out thinking about where I put my toothpaste and got caught while doing that. Not a pleasant sight indeed.)

But this time, the subject was a bit more serious. I wasn't able to get it through my head until now since everything happened so fast - I'm talking waking up with my head on Sugawara's shoulder, getting caught by Sugawara while falling, sprinting to our classroom with Sugawara behind me trying not to fall back..

Yeah.

A lot happened.

I remember talking to him on the roof yesterday and then him pulling me onto his chest, saying that I'll catch a cold like that, but I have no memory of falling asleep.

Okay, what am I talking about - nobody ever remembers when they fall asleep right? (Or do they?)

One thing I know for a fact is that I can't doze off easily. Whenever I'm at a friend's for a sleepover, I'm really sorry for them since I need to turn over and over, and over before actually going to the dreamland.

So how come I fell asleep so easily yesterday?

Was it.. because Sugawara was there?

~

I almost forgot about the detention I got myself, so imagine my confusion when I heard sensei's voice behind me as I was about to go through the main exit.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"Why, nowhere," I turned around on my heel.

"I hope you haven't forgotten about your detention, missy," he said, emphasising the last word. "You better head to the classroom now."

"Yeah, yeah," I sighed, starting to wonder how I'll explain myself to mom.

I could say practice dragged on.. No, that won't work, she knows I don't have volleyball today. I had to help the teachers? No, not a good idea, either. Mom and her ties, god dammit. I somehow mystically began loving housework, so I offered to help clean the eatery, maybe?

I realized I was spacing out (yet again) since sensei's voice snapped me back to the present (yet again.)

"Sugawara's already there. Don't wanna keep him waiting, right?"