Chapter 4

"You came," a warm, familiar voice said.

"Uh-huh," I lowered my head, not being able to look Sugawara in the eyes. I figured no one would be here this late so I wouldn't be seen.

"Why am I lying to myself?" I sighed in my mind. All I wanted was to see him and my body almost moved on its own when I read Sugawara's letter.

We were standing at the entrance to the school and the sun had already set. "But I only have ten minutes or so, because if I'm not home by half past eight, then-" I started but quickly covered my mouth after realizing what I was about to spit out.

"Then what?" He asked in a worried manner.

"Nothing."

We stood there in grave silence for a couple of seconds and I couldn't bear it.

"I'm sorry!" Suddenly our voices intertwined as we both spoke the same words in sync and bowed to each other.

We lifted up our heads at the same time and my eyes widened for Sugawara was so close I was able to hear and feel his tensed up breathing.

"Haha!" He giggled, scratching the back of his head and I followed.

And with that, the atmosphere switched from awkward to as if we've known each other for years.

To tell the truth, Sugawara looked amazing in the moonlight. It shone right on his head, making his hair look snow-white and his facial features sharper. Taking in the view I couldn't help but blush, thank god it was dark so he didn't notice.

"You wanted to see me?" I asked, taking a shy step back.

"Yeah, about that.." He smiled. "Being completely honest, I just wanted to know if you were okay."

"Oh." I smiled, facing the ground.

"Though.. If it's not too hard for you, could you tell me why you didn't speak to me today?" My body tensed up as Sugawara asked me a simple question. It didn't sound as a complain, more like an honest request. And I knew he deserved an honest explanation. "You don't have to-"

"It's okay. I at least owe you that much," I interrupted him, letting out a nervous laugh and not making eye contact. "It's going to be a long story, though."

"Why don't we sit down somewhere, then?" Sugawara suggested.

~

We ended up somehow going onto the rooftop, surprised all the doors were unlocked. I knew I was already way past my time limit, but I didn't care, I didn't want to come back home and face mom once again. Why even go there, when I can spend my time with a person that seems to actually understant me instead?

The two of us sat down in the corner, laying our backs to the railing. We both didn't have our jackets with us, but was a warm night and moonlight was shining right onto our heads. The sky was crystal clear and it looked to me as if stars sparkled brighter than I've ever seen them to.

"So.." I brought my knees to me and hugged them, looking up to the moon. "It all started with my dad." I almost choked on these words. "When he and my mom got married, they were extremely happy, they understood and helped each other, shared good and bad things with one another. It didn't last long, though. I was the first to see dad walking home some woman as I was coming back from school," I gritted my teeth, remembering my past. "At first, I thought it was just business-related, but then I saw the same sight tomorrow, then the day after that and eventually I just got used to it and my mind went blank. I stopped speaking at dinner and mom started to realize something was wrong," I clenched my fists and squeezed my eyes together. There was no way of telling how long I could keep this up, but I owed Sugawara for treating him so wrong.

Just then, something warm touched my hand and my whole body relaxed. It was as if a wave of safeness went through me.
I opened my eyes to see Sugawara's hand on mine, him smiling melancholically.

Why does time keep stopping when I'm with him? It's always like that - whenever we touch or make eye contact, the background goes faded white and all I can see is him. It's like that this time, too.

"There's no need to go on," he said.

And the next thing I knew, Sugawara pulled my head to lay against his chest, his chin being on top of my hair.

"You're going to catch a cold like that," he whispered to me as I listened to his heartbeat, completely dumbstruck.

Deep down I knew it was way to warm here for me to get cold, but my body wouldn't move at that moment and I'm glad I didn't try to.