Chapter 29 - Louin

The Dragon Palace, Cantella, Anemasi

26th Year of the Ocean

Last Day of the Fifth Moon

The Cantiers-in-Training stood upon the battlements as Deus circled down to land, almost like soldiers ready for battle. But Louin knew better than anyone that without Annalissa's guidance, the Cantiers were far from prepared for any kind of offensive measures, even with Lady Wanda standing behind them, her hand on Marah's shoulder. In the moonlight, the six of them looked otherworldly, their blonde hair shimmering as the wind tugged at their braids, their white dresses reflecting brightly into the ocean below.

Louin turned to Olivier, conscious of her arms clutched around his waist and the wetness that had bloomed on the shoulder of his jacket where she'd been resting her head.

"Olivier," he called over the sound of Deus' wings, but his throat was dry from flying and the word came out as a croak.

She met his eyes nonetheless and gave a slight nod before wiping her eyes. She seemed to take a deep breath, then when she released it, she was straight-faced, indifferent. A mask, but one he understood was necessary for a Dragonheir to wear. How often had he done the same thing before meeting the public, the Caeles, or even Deus?

How long had it been since he hadn't felt the need to do it?

He didn't realise he was clenching his fists until Deus' mind brushed his, so affectionate it made his heart ache. There was so much he wanted to tell her, so much weight she'd be able to lift from his shoulders. So much she would hate him for, if she knew.

The Cantiers-in-Training swarmed them as they landed, helping Olivier from Deus' back with the kind of care that girls could only afford to each other. Louin stayed where he was, watching as all five young Cantiers embraced the Avalonian princess as if they'd known each other for a lifetime rather than a minute.

It is incredible, isn't it? Deus mused, the way in which suffering brings us together.

When Louin didn't answer, his dragon turned, training a single violet eye on him.

Louin, she said softly, tell me what is ailing you.

He turned away, facing Olivier and the Cantiers once more. He could tell her everything. Or he could take the easy way out, use a small truth to hide a much larger lie.

The Sea Dragon won't die, will he?

Deus let out a long breath, the exhale rustling his hair. I do not know, she admitted. But whatever happens, this Tommél Ivenya will pay.

Yes... I'm sure there are lots of people who would see to that.

But would Olivier be one of them? Would she take revenge on her sibling who had betrayed her country, betrayed the dragons?

And what of him? Would he take revenge on his twin sister for stealing Tellus away, for endangering the life of the Earth Dragon, for continuing their parents' legacy as traitors?

He slid from Deus's back, forcing the questions to the back of her mind.

"Sorry," he said, forcing his way through the huddle of Cantiers until he reached Olivier's side. "But the Avalonian Dragonheir has had quite an exhausting day." He turned to her. "If you'd follow me?"

"Where are we going?" she asked, accepting his offered arm. He could feel the coolness of her fingers even through her jacket. He could see the dark stain that ringed the cuff of hers, the stain of her father's blood making his stomach turn.