Chapter 11

"Because I spent two years as a prisoner on a pirate ship" his eyes opened wide upon hearing that "So, trust me, I know what I'm talking about"

"What do you mean you spent two years as their prisoner?" it seemed like he had suddenly forgotten about going after Drago Bludvist, all he wanted was an explanation. 

I didn't know what else I was expecting anyway.

"That isn't the important thing" I said, stepping away. The gates had closed, and there was no chance for him and Toothless to escape "This isn't something your skills can solve, brute force is the only thing these kind of guys answer to" I started to walk towards the door to go to my old house but Hiccup followed me, not wanting to give up.

"Wait! You can't just tell me that and expect me to leave it all like... that, I-I have questions"

"Just forget it" I said, giving him a quick glance and running away.

That was stupid of me. Why couldn't I just keep my mouth shut and let him go after those trappers?  I would have to explain to him everything that happen in those five years at some point, and that was not something I was particularly keen on doing.

"Hey, where are you going?" asked Astrid from behind

"Just make sure Hiccup doesn't follow me" she frowned but nodded, and I continued walking. I remembered the path towards my house by heart.

"Woah, woah, where do you think you are going?" I heard Astrid telling someone, I supposed it was Hiccup.

"I-I need to ask Lexi something" he replied.

"She's...Not in the mood" and then, I couldn't hear them anymore. I walked through the path in the middle of the village as people stared at me. Have I mentioned that Vikings take their time getting used to anything? And that definitely included the fact that I was alive and planning on staying that way.

I then felt like something was missing...

Oh, right. Thunderlight. 

I had left him in the stables with all the other dragons, and I was starting to regret that decision; I didn't think there were spare pens in there, they all seemed quite full. I wondered if he was going to be alright... But turning back would imply finding Hiccup, and finding Hiccup would imply he wouldn't stop asking questions, and that would imply I would have to explain it to him. 

Yep, that really wasn't a choice.

I stopped in front of my doorstep and reached out for the handle. It was so weird being there after five years. Had anything changed?

I opened the door, stepped in, and found that everything looked exactly the same.

All Berkian houses were small and had two floors; I remembered that my room was upstairs, while my parents' was in the first floor. I went towards theirs first. The bed was made up, since the day they had died it was like that. I didn't sleep there, because it didn't seem right, and it still doesn't. It was my parents' and my parents' only.

It smelled of my mother, that irreplaceable fragrance of lemon and daisy, and it brought a few tears to my eyes.

I left it and went upstairs, where only my bathroom and bedroom stood. Stepping in my room, I found that the bed was all messed up, just as I had left it. There was a particularly sweet smell in the air, that definitely wasn't mine. Scanning the room to find its source, my eyes nailed on the night table. There was something there that wasn't there the day I 'died'.

It was a Blue Zinnia, my favorite flower, which was characterized by taking a long time to wither. One didn't need to take care of it like any other flower, they could survive by their own means.