Chapter Forty-one: A Harsh Reminder

Start from the beginning

Besides what about how he felt!

His actions said that he was willing to give this marriage a chance, but then, there was also this stunt of his suddenly running off to London while royally disregarding her, and it made her want to believe the otherwise.

Was she missing out something between the lines?

What was exactly going on inside that head of his?

For Sofia didn't want to get humiliated in front of him by declaring her love, if it was not to be reciprocated at all.

The memory of the party he used for his revenge washed over her mind. She had been fool enough to believe he wanted to restore their friendship through the deceiving attempt he had gone through to bring her where he wanted her to be, the result was similar to a slap across the face. She could still remember very well the way she had come back home that night—humiliated and heartbroken. It was her own Karma, alright, but how was that knowledge going to make her feel any less insecure right now?

"I'm going to have to go to the bathroom...," he trailed off, getting off the bed suddenly.

Sofia snapped out of the vehement tangle of her thoughts, realizing just now that they'd been staring at each other without a word.

"And I should go," Sofia said looking like her typical self, without a single sign of her inner battles showing on face. "Will take a shower and get ready for work."

Max nodded and zoomed into the bathroom.

Sofia sighed. It was either he was running away again or he was just simply in a dire need to go for real.

--

Ready for work, Sofia helped Debbie serve breakfast on the table. Max came downstairs dressed up for office too.

He took his seat beside her.

Absentmindedly, Sofia leaned sideways towards him a bit, as if it was getting her second nature to try and get as close to him as possible.

Despite feeling his eyes on her, she refrained from looking up at him. Recently even whenever he merely looked her way, she blushed like crazy. She didn't want to seem too obvious.

"Are you mad at me?" he asked fiddling with his coffee mug.

Sofia didn't look up. "I guess I should be."

"Are you?"

"Will that make you give me an explanation?"

"Sof—" he exhaled a long breath, his voice cracking.

Sofia smirked mockingly, sadly. "I understand, that won't."

"Sof—" Max retorted, his voice picking up. "You understand nothing."

Sofia looked up, her brows furrowed in question. "Then make me, Max!" she desperately said. "You cannot suddenly leave without even a word, ignore me for days, not reply to any of my calls—"

"I did send you a text." His chair screeched against the floor as he shifted the whole thing to face her properly.

"You did," Sofia glared at a very uncomfortable looking Max. "But is that supposed to make me feel any better. You were still very much giving me the cold shoulder. I thought we are back to being friends, Max, then why did you just—"

Suddenly Max's expression changed, his face hardened. Pushing back the chair he roughly got up to his feet.

"Yeah, right, how could I forget we are back to being friends!" he scoffed snatching up his laptop bag and files.