"I should go." She jerked a thumb toward the car idling in the driveway. When she left, she didn't even keep the car I'd bought for her. She drove a brand new Toyota Camry that she was probably leasing—and paying out the nose for every month.

I didn't get it. She could've kept the Jaguar. I'd bought it for her.

"It's cold," I said. "Just come in for a few. Run me through school?"

For a second, her eyes lit up. Then her lips tightened. "I've got lesson planning to do." She turned, low ponytail whipping around through the bottom of her beanie.

I closed my eyes. I'd meant Joey's school, forgetting entirely that she'd started grad school—all while caring for our son and teaching English at the high school. "Wait," I called. "How's business school?"

She paused, boots crunching over the salt on the shoveled front walk. Turning, she shoved her hands into the pockets of her coat. Her eyes lifted, but still didn't meet mine.

When I breathed in, my chest ached. Without her in my life, I rattled around in my body, in the big empty house we'd once shared. Though she haunted me, I was the ghost.

"Demanding," she said. "I've gotta go." She hesitated as if she had more to say.

"Noah . . ." A thousand questions burned on my own lips. Even after all those months, I still didn't know why she left me. I'd thought we had a good thing going. Sure, my job could be demanding. I was the best pediatric urologist in the region. Those kids needed me, and I couldn't exactly ignore my pages. I knew Noah wanted me home more, but I thought she understood.

Until I came home to a dark house.

"Can you drop him off tomorrow night?" she asked, eyes on my beard.

I suppressed a grin. She'd always liked when I went without shaving for a few days. I was pushing dress code at work, but seeing the look in her eyes was worth it. "Of course," I said, voice soft.

"I would just get him myself, but it'd buy me some extra study time."

"It's no problem." I swallowed, and stepped onto the porch. "Look, Noah, I can take him for the week, if that helps."

Those triangular eyes narrowed. "Our current custody agreement works just fine."

"I know," I said quickly. "I just meant, if you need me to step up to sixty/forty custody, just to give you more time for school—"

She laughed, a short, bitter bark. "How exactly would that work? Are you going to take a vacation?"

I licked my lips. "I'm trying to help."

"Or are you just going to send him to your mom's?" She clenched her keys.

Jaw tightening, I sucked in a deep breath. "I'm just going to finish my coffee," I sat flatly. "I'll see you tomorrow night."

"Great," she said. She turned, boots scraping against the ground. Her heel spun, sliding over a small patch of ice that the snow removal guy had missed. Legs flying out in opposite directions, she started to fall.

I jumped down from the porch, bare feet slapping against the freezing cold walkway. Pebbles of salt bit into the soles of my feet. Arms outstretched, I reached for her. I hooked one arm under her bottom, wrapping another around her shoulders, and drew her into me.

We both went down.

I landed hard on my back, the air exiting my lungs in an icy whoosh. My body absorbed the impact, and I cradled Noah in my arms. With a grunt, I met her eyes.

Only inches separated us. Those blue eyes stared into mine, both wonder and fear mingling in them. I frowned. She had nothing to fear from me. I would never hurt her. Both the oaths I'd taken bound me from harming her: the Hippocratic Oath, and my marriage vows.

Even though our marriage was technically over, I'd never break them.

"Are you okay?" she whispered. Her breath warmed my face.

"Yes," I rasped. I tried to suck in a deep breath, but my lungs were still in shock.

A strand of hair escaped her beanie, caressing my cheek. "I'm sorry," she said, lips so close to mine, all I had to do was lift my head.

"Good thing," I panted, "I'm off today."

"Good thing you're a doctor." A corner of her mouth lifted. "Tell me what to do for you, Dr. Wester."

Come home, I wanted to say. As my lungs started working correctly, though, I realized my arms were still around her—my hand still on her ass. I loosened my grip, releasing her.

She brushed snow out of my hair. "Thank goodness your head landed in the snow."

I glanced around. Sure enough, we'd twisted as we fell. The snow wasn't exactly soft, but it'd saved me from cracking my head open on the pavement.

Noah rolled off me, and my body instantly went cold without her. I sucked in a deep breath to salve the ache in my chest. She stood, holding her hand out to me.

Reaching for her, I braced my elbow against the walkway, pushing off as her hand closed around mine. I outweighed her by at least 100 lb. "Thanks."

Biting her lip, she walked around me, evaluating. "You look okay to me, but you fell hard, Levi."

"I'm fine," I lied. "Really. It's nothing a little Advil can't fix."

Most of the damage wasn't physical, though. All of the painkillers in the world couldn't help me, not with Noah out of my life.

"Theo's inside, too," she said, as if reminding herself that she had no obligation to stick around and nurse me.

"He's going to be devastated to hear that I won't be running with him for a while." I shooed her. "Go. We'll be fine."

"Okay." Her eyes flicked up to mine for a moment, then darted away. Without another word, she moved carefully down the driveway.

Just like in our divorce, I'd absorbed the impact. Noah always got away clean, leaving me to lick my wounds. Before she left, all I'd wanted was a family and a career, but I couldn't juggle the two. After, I'd thrown myself into work, dropping the ball as a father in an effort to save my patients and give my son everything he wanted. Sometimes I thought I'd never find the right balance.

Thank you for reading Chapter 2 of The Stairs Between Us. Continue reading via Amazon, iBooks, Nook, Radish, or your other favorite retailer. Click on the external link below or visit http://bit.ly/TheStairsBetweenUs