Chapter 34: Somebody's eyes

Start from the beginning

"On my white horse" he replied and shrugged. "But I left him in England."

The boy looked up at his father. "Dad, can you take me to England to ride Uncle Sebastian's horse and play with Merida's bow and arrows?"

No one of us were looking at Toby when he replied "I would love to."

Excited, Robert ran away saying "Yes, I'm gonna tell Mom!"

Toby stayed there, with both hands in his pockets now. "I hope you are enjoying the party" he said, to make conversation. The question was for all of us, but he kept looking at me. I blushed, embarrassed, and exchanged looks with Felicity.

"We are, thank you" Sebastian grinned, looking him straight in the eye. "How's Amanda?"

Toby paused. "She's busy, but good. Thanks for asking."

"Such a shame she couldn't be here" my boyfriend commented. There was a slight challenge in his tone.

Toby just grinned at him and turned his attention to me again. "How long are you staying here in the US, Lily?"

"Oh" I breathed. My heart was pounding too fast, my mind kept on warning me to not look at his eyes. "We" and I indicated Sebastian and myself, "are staying one more week."

In spite of my warnings to myself, I dared to look at him. He was staring at me like I was a fairy that was shining in front of his eyes, a fairy just come out of an enchanted forest in the darkest night. I didn't know what my face looked like, I only knew that I was blushing and heavily breathing. Feeling that powerful energy overwhelming me again, I fought hard to not stand up and run away.

"Enjoy your stay" Toby said in a warm voice, touching my shoulder. I closed my eyes, feeling the vibration of his touch to my very soul.

He walked away and I waited the longest time to open my eyes again. I looked at Sebastian, who was already observing me in silence.

"I can't do this" I thought, hearing my heart exploding into pieces. "It's destroying me."

"I forgot something in the car" Sebastian said, standing up abruptly and startling both Felicity and me. "I'll be back soon."

"What did you forget?" I asked. I was sure we haven't left anything in the car.

"Something important" he replied with a smile and off he went.

***

Felicity needed to get away from the crowd and went to the upstairs bathroom, that was the only vacant one. She did her business, freshened up and, while fixing her hair she thought of Harold Jackman, her "Ryan Gosling". She had liked him the moment Daisy had introduced him to her, Lily and Sebastian. They had talked for a while and Felicity thought he was very smart, sweet and elegant; he wasn't a heartthrob for sure, but Felicity had a thing for men like Harold. She hoped to get his phone number before the party was over.

She should have thanked Toby for joking around so much about finding a match for her and actually helped her in that.

That guy was really a resourceful man, but also the biggest idiot on planet Earth.

From the moment Lily and Sebastian had appeared on the back door threshold with Daisy, all Toby had done was staring at Lily. All the time. He had tried to look the other way and ignore her but, as Felicity had imagined all along, he just couldn't help to take his eyes off her friend. And then, the evident tension between the two of them a few minutes before... What he was feeling was so clear. Felicity decided it was time to have a talk with him, as soon as possible.

Walking down the corridor, she heard voices coming from a room and stopped dead when she recognized whose voices they were. Toby and Sebastian's. She got closer to the nearest door, which was open enough to let her see the room inside without being seen.